Buying in Store vs. Online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by azitiz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. azitiz macrumors newbie

azitiz

Greetings - If one already knows what one wants (ie. doesn't need advice from salesperson), what are the advantages/disadvantage of ordering online from the Apple site, vs. walking into the store (one is nearby).
    Thanks!
    alexander

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In-store advantage is easy return and exchange; plus you have a person to ask questions to; it's also instant gratification; the disadvantage being you can only buy a limited number of models.

Online you can order BTO, but returns and exchanges are less convenient; plus you have to wait and may have to pay shipping if you want a fast shipping option.

If your state requires sales tax, you have to pay either way.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you are buying, buying off places like Amazon will eliminate the need for sales tax. Don't put all your hopes in places like craigslist or even eBay.

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

You dont have to drive to an Apple Store. There is not an Apple Store closeby to me, so I like to order cheaper stuff online. I would never buy a Mac online though. I would like to purchase one at a store.

5. n8236 macrumors 65816

If you're a student and have not taken advantage of the ADC program, that's what buying online will provide you. ADC = 20% off.

6. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

Buying from somewhere so that you don't have to pay taxes is the way to go.

7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

If you can, definitely in-store. Apple store employees are really friendly and helpful. Of course if you want to customize there is no choice.

8. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

Support your local economy, buy where you live, imo.