Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azitiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Greetings - If one already knows what one wants (ie. doesn't need advice from salesperson), what are the advantages/disadvantage of ordering online from the Apple site, vs. walking into the store (one is nearby).
Thanks!
alexander

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
In-store advantage is easy return and exchange; plus you have a person to ask questions to; it's also instant gratification; the disadvantage being you can only buy a limited number of models.

Online you can order BTO, but returns and exchanges are less convenient; plus you have to wait and may have to pay shipping if you want a fast shipping option.

If your state requires sales tax, you have to pay either way.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
You dont have to drive to an Apple Store. There is not an Apple Store closeby to me, so I like to order cheaper stuff online. I would never buy a Mac online though. I would like to purchase one at a store.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
If you're a student and have not taken advantage of the ADC program, that's what buying online will provide you. ADC = 20% off.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
If you can, definitely in-store. Apple store employees are really friendly and helpful. Of course if you want to customize there is no choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.