Buying in the Apple Retail Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SpastikMonkii, Oct 20, 2007.

1. SpastikMonkii macrumors newbie

So I've bought all my Macs online before, never in the store. I'm consdering driving to the store next week for the Leopard launch and picking up a macbook pro (my powerbook has seen better days, though as hard as I am on it, after 3 years, I can't complain). My question is, do I have any upgrade options in store that would allow me to still carry it out that night? Basically all I'm interested in is a bigger/faster HD, but can they throw that in there in store?

2. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

I asked this question in a UK store the other week and they say they only install RAM (who the hell would buy that from Apple?!) and not any HDD stuff. They directed me to the website. Go to the store anyway then order online. Any excuse to go!:p

3. SpastikMonkii thread starter macrumors newbie

The store is about an hour's drive from me, and with the prices of gas, I dunno if I'll do it.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

last time I asked, my local apple stores (los angeles ) would only do ram upgrades, and they'll do it while you wait.....if you do go to buy, CALL FIRST to make sure they have what you want in stock and all that

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you are looking for a better HD, your best bet is to order online. The reason the retail stores only handle RAM upgrades is because that's very, very simple to do. The HD upgrade is a little more difficult and Apple doesn't trust its retail employees:p Apple usually keeps stock models and extra RAM in their retail stores, but not much else can be upraded in store. Seeing as how gas is shooting up right now, an hour's drive might cost you $20 (or more depending on your car). Save this money and just wait for it to be shipped to you for free.

6. A*ROCK macrumors newbie

Just this afternoon I was at my local Apple store and asked them a similar question. I am looking at a Macbook and want a 160GB, not a 80 or 120. They told me that I would need to order online as they don't carry models with the larger capacity of HDD.

Also, you may want to wait to see if there is an updated macbook pro that comes out as they are nearing the timeframe of a possible update: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

Or whatever, the rumors go towards and away from new macbook pros befor the holidays. Hope this helps.

7. SpastikMonkii thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea when they'll update MBPs? If it's in the next month or so, i can wait, but much past the new year, I don't want to wait that long.

8. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

Haha...try living in the UK for gas prices. But yeah thats a fair bit away. Online it is...im ordering my imac on friday with 320GB HDD. Makes delivery time 4 days instead of 24hrs too.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

all instore machines are stock. You could upgrade the HD later for cheaper.