Buying in USA ; bring to uk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cheese., Feb 25, 2011.

1. Cheese. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey
    If I purchase a MacBook pro at an apple store in the USA , will my warranty still be fully valid in the uk? And if it needed replacing be replaced with a uk model with no hassles?
    :)

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If you buy it in the U.S, you should get AppleCare too.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The warranty is valid world wide so there's no worries there.

I'm not so sure about replacements, it might be worth phoning Apple and asking.

4. Cheese. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

oh for the cheaper price? Or because the uk one wouldnt be compatible or something..

5. Cheese. thread starter macrumors newbie

Worldwide eh? If it happened to fail whilst I was there would they just replace it straight away? Or go through some long winded repairs

6. gorjan macrumors 6502

You should get the same service from Apple worldwide, so probably just a repair as you would get at home. If you were to travel home before the repair was to be finished Apple would probably just recommend you bring the MBP in to get serviced when you get home.

You should get Apple Care as the US doesn't have the same degree of consumer protection as we have in Europe. And if the MBP is purchased outside of Europe you will only have Apple's one year warranty (where e.g. in Denmark there's a two year period where you get free repairs).

7. clivesmithy macrumors newbie

I bought a black macbook 2007 model in New York. At the time with the great exchange rate, I saved £300 on the model. The warranty is valid worldwide.. The US and UK laptops all have US keyboards.
    In the UK, Apple give you a 14 day no questions asked return if you change your mind... You would not be able to do this with a US stock item.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Have you forgotten 20% VAT and currency exchange rates?

9. Akme macrumors member

I bought a MacBook Pro in 2008 in the US. Realized that the chassis was warped when I got back to London. Took it into my local Apple Store, and they replaced it. Was a slight hassle though, really. Had to argue with the manager, and he then had to call his superiors. Wasn't the most convenient of processes, but worked out in the end.