Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
This week I will be ordering a 17" Intel iMac with 1gbx1 upgrade. Does everyone love their 17" Intel iMac?

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Actually, you can buy a 17" iMac and some nice 20" S-IPS panel LCD for similar amount that the 20" costs.....

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I had a 17" G5 iMac that was great but I needed the extra screen size so I bought the 20" Intel iMac. As my sig. points out I'm happy. Now if I didn't need the screen size the 17" Core Duo is a great Mac to have/get for most anyone. So is a G5 iMac but I really like the iMac anyway so it doesn't matter in the end :D Happy is happy, just get Ram like you did and it will last you a long time. Enjoy your new iMac :)

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
lamina said:
This week I will be ordering a 17" Intel iMac with 1gbx1 upgrade. Does everyone love their 17" Intel iMac?

Snap! Well, almost, I've already got mine. :D

You'll find you've made a good decision going with the 1GB RAM. I've got 2x 512 in mine because I'm hoping by the time I need more, there will be another Mac to buy. :p

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
theheyes said:
Snap! Well, almost, I've already got mine. :D

You'll find you've made a good decision going with the 1GB RAM. I've got 2x 512 in mine because I'm hoping by the time I need more, there will be another Mac to buy. :p

Sorry but: IDIOT!! It cost the same in the iMac to get 2x512 or 1x1 GB. HA! n00b!:p

BTW, hope you enjoy yours iMacs!:D

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Josias said:
Sorry but: IDIOT!! It cost the same in the iMac to get 2x512 or 1x1 GB. HA! n00b!:p
What? It's better to have 2x512 because of dual channel, which doesn't help much (from what I hear) but it's something, at least. 1x1GB is only good if you need to upgrade later, which theheyes is saying he won't have to, since something better will be out by then.

DrStrangelove

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2006
Josias said:
What are the advantages of dual channel?

It's my understanding (I could VERY WELL be wrong) that when you run dual channel and use both expansion slots that each chip can be accessed concurrently and therefore showing slight improvements on speed.

Meaning, and I know this is a simple explanation if not somewhat flawed, that lets say you have two 512s as opposed to one 1GB-- well, think of the chips as identical (this is why it's important to use identical chips) drinking glasses and the data as water. It's easier and faster to fill up two drinking glasses from two with equal amounts of water than it is to fill up one larger glass with double the amount of water. And you can fill up these two drinking glasses at the same time.

The best suggestion is to put 1GB of identical RAM into both slots.

Anyone know if I'm correct?

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my 17" iMac.

Buy one faster...

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
FredAkbar said:
What? It's better to have 2x512 because of dual channel, which doesn't help much (from what I hear) but it's something, at least. 1x1GB is only good if you need to upgrade later, which theheyes is saying he won't have to, since something better will be out by then.

Hey, I said that without opening my mouth. :D

Yep, I went for the 2 sticks because of the dual channel, which is something to consider if you havent ordered it already.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I had a 17 duo for about a week before I gave my mom's to her. It was great! Now my wife's convinced that we need an iMac and it'll replace the dead pc (unfortunately we have to pay off our car first:( ) but anyways it is a lovely machine, I was very very impressed (as I was running it with the stock 512mb of ram:eek: ). It runs pretty much everything well and rosetta is even decent (for office). The only issue with it in it's month of ownership is that keyboard issue that a few of us are having, otherwise a good all around buy.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Josias said:

:D
And if your ONE stick of ram goes bad, what do you have? Nada. With 2 at least if one goes you have the other. Making this ram choice does not make one an idiot, making stupid uninformed comments such as yours does. Maybe your just one of those people who only feels important when cutting on others.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Is there anywhere I can find benchmarks between a 17" iMac with 2x512 and 1x1?

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
I don't know of any benchmarks but as FredAkbar pointed out the performance increase isn't much for your average applications, but its better than nothing since I won't be needing more ram anyway.

If you think you want more ram in the future then by all means go for the 1GB stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.