Buying internationaly?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pazaakshark, Nov 17, 2013.

1. pazaakshark macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    I'm looking to buy a new Mac Pro, in Feburary I'm heading off to Hong Kong and checked their price in HK$ converts to £1872 GBP, (it is normally £2500 in the uk) if i was to buy it in Hong Kong would i be able to use it back in the UK, would it be worth waiting?

thanks!

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Apart from checking the power supply, you would be able to use it... once you had brought it through Customs and paid any applicable import duties and VAT.

EDIT : According to http://www.dutycalculator.com you would have no import duties, just £380 VAT (roughly) assuming you carried it over yourself. If you posted it, you have to pay the VAT on the shipping charges too.

Don't forget that in the event of any issues with the machine you might have to ship it back to HK for servicing.

3. pazaakshark thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh thank you very much, well after the tax has been added thats comes pretty close to the price it would cost me with my uni discount, so probably mor worth the effort!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Warranty and repair is now international on all mac models.

5. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

That is good news then.

I thought that under the Sale of Goods Act in the UK that the first responsibility in the case of a failure of a Good was the retailer from whom the purchase was made. If Apple are offering to handle the nMP regardless of where it was bought, that makes the AppleCare more useful.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

As far as I know in Hong Kong they don't have sales taxes so sometimes their prices are lower. For power supply, I think all Mac machines are flexible, the PSU can accomodate 110v to 240v

7. pazaakshark thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh okay so warranty and everything is international, I will buy an adapter for the plug :)

Just curious about getting it through the airport without having to pay tax...

8. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Even if HK has no sales tax, you will still have to pay the UK VAT when it arrives in the country.

9. gobsmacked, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

gobsmacked macrumors member

Turn it into a pair of pants and wear them through Customs. No one would think to check used pants. :roll eyes:
    Don't forget it is going to weigh around 50 pounds (approx 23 kg) and you want it very securely packaged. Luggage handlers are even harder on stuff than ordinary shippers. What is an excess baggage charge for that weight? Canadian airlines are now charging so much it would eat any savings.

10. DigitalVT macrumors member

DigitalVT

Yes, I'm in the States for a month in December and am thinking the same, smuggled in a pair of pants....!!??? Hmmmmm....!! Just thinking about the savings!!??

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Some things to consider in regard to this:

1. The Mac Pro is 5KG, which means an extra £50-£75 on long-haul flights if you go outside your allowance.

2. The current exchange rate you find online probably isn't the rate you are going to pay for the currency you want to purchase it in because someone is going to make a profit on the exchange somewhere.

3. Putting a Mac Pro on a passenger flight equals a good chance a baggage handler will wreck it, even with it's packaging. They aren't meant to be shipped like that.

4. With the original packaging you are highly likely to get hit for taxes.

You're much better off waiting to see what the Amazon prices are or finding someone who is a student to buy it for you.

12. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Can you get it on-onboard as a carry-on? If you're nice to the flight attendants, you can fit it in their storage area.