Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardp2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone else thinking about this? I have a wifi iPad now, but I'm seriously considering selling it and using the money I got from my iPhone sale to upgrade to the 3G and just getting an android phone. The recent unlimited data debacle has pushed me ove the edge really. I can get a good Internet experience from the iPad and android phones are fine for occasional Internet use and calls. I'm wondering with an iPad why I actually need an iPhone?

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
In my opinion these are 2 totally different devices. I love my iPad, but no way it can replace my iPhone. I look very much forward to iPhone 4.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I as seriously thinking about letting my iPhone contract expire next year and just get a small, cheap prepaid phone for voice calls, and put the savings into a data plan for my iPad 3G (I actually haven't used the 3G part yet :) )

I actually don't make a lot of mobile calls -- most of my iPhone use is data related (email, etc) and I can do that better on my iPad.

But then I saw the screen on the iPhone 4 and I now have a serious case of gadget lust...

Damn you, Apple! :)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jaro65 said:
In my opinion these are 2 totally different devices. I love my iPad, but no way it can replace my iPhone. I look very much forward to iPhone 4.

+1

CalebF

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Boutvet Island
But you can't carry an iPad in your pocket conveniently to make calls. I guess if you have a landline phone at home and don't mind using payphones out in public OR carrying an iPad in "murse" (man purse), the choice is yours.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm also considering not getting the iphone4, I'm just not seeing the purpose other than to spend the money on the latest gadget (which almost is reason enough in my twisted way of thinking). But honestly after having my ipad the iphone's screen, no matter how sharp or incredible, is still the same size. Plus it's not like I can really do a lot with it over 3g after ATT's data plan announcements.

I might just get a throw away phone also, but more likely I'll probably get an Android phone so I can see Google Voice truly integrated.

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I as seriously thinking about letting my iPhone contract expire next year and just get a small, cheap prepaid phone for voice calls, and put the savings into a data plan for my iPad 3G (I actually haven't used the 3G part yet :) )

I actually don't make a lot of mobile calls -- most of my iPhone use is data related (email, etc) and I can do that better on my iPad.

But then I saw the screen on the iPhone 4 and I now have a serious case of gadget lust...

Damn you, Apple! :)
I think this decision is completely dependent on your lifestyle. I actually just came to the above conclusion (slightly because my blackberry broke and I didn't want to pay for a new one), but I also found that I rarely used the phone's version of the internet because of its limited offerings. For me, I'd much rather pay the 29.99 for unlimited on an ipad (where the internet is a pleasure to use + i carry a backup around campus and to and from work) then pay upwards of 40 a month for the data on the phone. There were also many other factors that made the ipad ideal for my lifestyle (extra screen real estate for final cut pro and a portfolio for my work), but this was the underlying logic for my decision.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
I will be getting the iPhone 4 as well, especially since that's how I get my internet to my wifi iPad.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
It's funny, I bought the iPad 3G with the idea of replacing my laptop. As it turns out, the software just isn't there- both on Apple's part and on the part of third-party developers.

But what I did find is that it's replacing my iPhone in many situations. I still use my iPhone to check email on the go and browse the web (and recently, I use both to read books on the Kindle app, it's pretty awesome). But when I want to play a quick game or look up a recipe or get Google map directions (things I used to whip out my iPhone 3GS to take care of), I gravitate towards my iPad. The screen size and app interfaces are much easier to use and interact with.

I'm also ready to dump AT&T. It depends, on this point, on waiting until one or two of the contracts on my family plan expire in early fall so I won't be stuck with a $500 termination fee. I had no problem, and I lived with drop-calls without any issue, but once they instituted a relatively-low 2GB data cap on the iPad data plan, I was livid.

My thinking is this: if I only use my iPhone for web browsing, checking and composing quick emails, Google Maps (and the like), and other quick games and utilities, I could use any Android device. I wouldn't even notice a difference, to be honest. And Sprint's tethering package is a better deal than the iPad 3G: you turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot (your laptop, iPad, or any other device can use its data) for $30/month with a 5GB data cap on top of unlimited data the phone itself uses. And if you're in a 4G area, even though there's a $10/month premium on the phone data plan, there is no data cap at all for tethering. You can stream as many Netflix movies as you want, without having to downsample them over 3G, for one flat rate.

To be honest, I'd dump AT&T right now and pay the fee, except I've only heard horrible things about the EVO 4G battery life. Like it borders on the unusable- I'll wait until the Android 2.2 update gets pushed over the next few weeks and see if it improves.

Anyway, with my iPad, I don't really need an iPhone- just a nice phone with a nice app store and good web browsing capabilities. Android fits the bill, and Sprint saves me a ton of money per month, with more minutes and people on my plan with data, and no caps (at least, none yet).

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Anyone else thinking about this? I have a wifi iPad now, but I'm seriously considering selling it and using the money I got from my iPhone sale to upgrade to the 3G and just getting an android phone. The recent unlimited data debacle has pushed me ove the edge really. I can get a good Internet experience from the iPad and android phones are fine for occasional Internet use and calls. I'm wondering with an iPad why I actually need an iPhone?

It's unofficial, but I read today that Sprint is going to be imposing some limits on their data plans with the new Evo 4g, and many analysts feel that AT&T's move will be followed by all major carriers sooner than later, so this might not be the best rationale to base your decision on.

Speaking of HTC, is it just me or do any of you guys cringe every time you hear another one of their stupid pretentious names for yet another tacky looking Android phone? It's one thing to market the iPad as "magical" but at least it's not named Incredible or Desire or some other such nonsense, gimme a break.

richardp2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
It's unofficial, but I read today that Sprint is going to be imposing some limits on their data plans with the new Evo 4g, and many analysts feel that AT&T's move will be followed by all major carriers sooner than later, so this might not be the best rationale to base your decision on.

Well like one of the above posters, i really don't make a lot of voice calls and/or messages. In the uk at least, i can get a lot more data on an iPad package for a reasonable price than a smartphone one. 500mb on a android phone would be fine for for the kind of things I tend to do on the move, google maps, Facebook, reading emails, etc.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I'm thinking about not renewing my iPhone and getting a cheapo phone to use as just a phone/text device. I really can't stand iPhone apps now except for RedLaser and TomTom.

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sticking with my cheap, voice-call-only Sprint phone and iPad 3G. I will upgrade my first-gen Touch to the new model when it is released this Fall if and only if it has the same basic design as the iPhone 4 with at least one camera.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
When Gizmodo came out with their full story of iPhone 4, I said to myself that I would never want it. I have an iPad, a Touch, I don't need an iPhone. But I've watched the keynote 3 times, and I can't help be completely drawn to iPhone 4 and just want it because it's amazing. The iPhone is on a totally different level than the iPad. One can't really replace the other.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
The iPhone is on a totally different level than the iPad. One can't really replace the other.

In a way that is true:

iPhone = More portable and can make cell calls
iPad = Bigger screen better for gaming and movies and iWork type apps

That being said. I still can't help but feel like it is (mostly) buying the same product twice which kinda bugs me. I wish there were even more to differentiate the products. Perhaps in time. But as the post from people who have both point to, in many ways the iPad cannibalizes not only laptop usage, but iPhone as well.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
When Gizmodo came out with their full story of iPhone 4, I said to myself that I would never want it. I have an iPad, a Touch, I don't need an iPhone. But I've watched the keynote 3 times, and I can't help be completely drawn to iPhone 4 and just want it because it's amazing. The iPhone is on a totally different level than the iPad. One can't really replace the other.

Haha you've hypnotized yourself into buying it!

I'm telling myself I don't need an iPhone 4 as well, but I have a feeling I'll be putting one aside for myself when they become available here in Australia :/

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I'm seriously considering it. But only because the iPad 3G has unlimited data plans in my country whilst the iPhone doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.