Buying iPad 4G from the US..

PilotWoo

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2006
No it won't. It's locked to AT&T and won't work with any other networks.
iPads thus far have never been locked to a carrier (A quick google search confirms this from multiple sources), and there has been nothing from Apple to say the new iPad will be. It makes no sense. If you want 100% confirmation, you'll need to ask the question after the 16th.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
No it won't. It's locked to AT&T and won't work with any other networks.
Not true. Op, just look at apples site for all the info too need. Both USA 4g versions will work in Europe On your 3G network.

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
iPads thus far have never been locked to a carrier (A quick google search confirms this from multiple sources), and there has been nothing from Apple to say the new iPad will be. It makes no sense. If you want 100% confirmation, you'll need to ask the question after the 16th.
I don't know where they are getting this info from. I'm in the Caribbean and using my AT&T iPad2 3G here with no problem. And I intend to buy the new iPad 4G/LTE
Foxy

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Actually I was partly right in that technically you are limited to either AT&T or Verizone in the US as the networks work differently. But I stand corrected in that the AT&T model can be used overseas as it also uses SIM card technology. The Verizon model won't work overseas at least no in the UK.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Actually I was partly right in that technically you are limited to either AT&T or Verizone in the US as the networks work differently. But I stand corrected in that the AT&T model can be used overseas as it also uses SIM card technology. The Verizon model won't work overseas at least no in the UK.
The Verizon one WILL work. People need to get their facts right before giving people advise.

All iPads have the same gsm bands. All will work in Europe. None will work on Europe lte networks.

The only difference 4g iPads have is the following: AT&T has an extra 2100 band for AT&T lte. Verizon one has extra CDMA bands to fallback on if there is no lte

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The Verizon one WILL work. People need to get their facts right before giving people advise.

All iPads have the same gsm bands. All will work in Europe. None will work on Europe lte networks.

The only difference 4g iPads have is the following: AT&T has an extra 2100 band for AT&T lte. Verizon one has extra CDMA bands to fallback on if there is no lte
Does the Verizon model have a SIM card slot then ? If it does then why does Apple state it won't work on AT&T's network in the US. All networks here in the UK require a SIM card.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Does the Verizon model have a SIM card slot then ? If it does then why does Apple state it won't work on AT&T's network in the US. All networks here in the UK require a SIM card.
Yes it does have a sim slot. No Verizon 4g device will work without a sim card regardless of if you are on lte or the old CDMA network.

It won't work with AT&T's lte network. AT&T using a different lte band and uses a band the Verizon one is missing. The gsm, 3G is a different network