Buying iPad 4G from the US..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brian017, Mar 10, 2012.

1. brian017 macrumors regular

Quick question: if I buy an AT&T iPad on eBay will it work with 3G networks in Europe, particularly Ireland?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

No it won't. It's locked to AT&T and won't work with any other networks.

3. brian017 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply Mr. C; are the UK ones locked too?

4. PilotWoo macrumors regular

iPads thus far have never been locked to a carrier (A quick google search confirms this from multiple sources), and there has been nothing from Apple to say the new iPad will be. It makes no sense. If you want 100% confirmation, you'll need to ask the question after the 16th.

5. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Not true. Op, just look at apples site for all the info too need. Both USA 4g versions will work in Europe On your 3G network.

6. Foxykhat macrumors member

I don't know where they are getting this info from. I'm in the Caribbean and using my AT&T iPad2 3G here with no problem. And I intend to buy the new iPad 4G/LTE
    Foxy

7. tanboom macrumors member

Its not locked, for your kind information...;)

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

Actually I was partly right in that technically you are limited to either AT&T or Verizone in the US as the networks work differently. But I stand corrected in that the AT&T model can be used overseas as it also uses SIM card technology. The Verizon model won't work overseas at least no in the UK.

9. bidwalj macrumors 65816

The Verizon one WILL work. People need to get their facts right before giving people advise.

All iPads have the same gsm bands. All will work in Europe. None will work on Europe lte networks.

The only difference 4g iPads have is the following: AT&T has an extra 2100 band for AT&T lte. Verizon one has extra CDMA bands to fallback on if there is no lte

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Does the Verizon model have a SIM card slot then ? If it does then why does Apple state it won't work on AT&T's network in the US. All networks here in the UK require a SIM card.

11. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Yes it does have a sim slot. No Verizon 4g device will work without a sim card regardless of if you are on lte or the old CDMA network.

It won't work with AT&T's lte network. AT&T using a different lte band and uses a band the Verizon one is missing. The gsm, 3G is a different network