Buying iPad abroad, but shipped within the US - problems?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tsuk, Apr 10, 2011.

1. tsuk macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone.

First off, I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this thread. I tried to look for some category more suitable for my problem, but found none.

Anyway, the thing is: I am from Brazil, but next month I'm going to the US to visit some friends. So I figured: why not buy an iPad 2 online through Apple Online Store and have it shipped to one of my friend's place?

I knew the chances to pull that off were slim. As probably you all know, you must have an US credit card to buy apps and musics from the iTunes Store, so I figured Apple had the same restrictions apply in their Online Store.

When I placed the order, however, it... worked. Well, at least I got the "Order Acknowledgment" and my iPad is supposed to ship on the 28th. But I still can't quite believe it.

I read someplace that they only charge the credit card when they actually ship the product, not before that. Do you think there's any chance I might still have problems with this? I mean... is the "Order Acknowledgement" any confirmation that the order is actually approved?

I'm thinking about maybe buying something else which ships within 24 hours to see if it ships alright. If it does, great. If not, I might wait or cancel my iPad order...

What do you guys think? Any opinion on this would be highly appreciated.

P.S.: I had obviously to "fake" my Billing Address - I had to write my friend's. Their system should have tried to match my actual Billing Adress to the one I wrote down when I placed my order, right...?

I just want my iPad 2 :( Lol
    Thanks, guys.

2. ani23 macrumors 6502

Why did u fake billing address. It accepts international cards and addresses.

My dad orderdered one using his non us card band shipped it to me in NY.

3. tsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I faked it because I couldn't change the country option to "Brazil". Maybe I took it for granted and didn't look for it well enough, but I'm almost sure I couldn't change it to a brazilian address.

Anyway, if your dad bought something and it shipped alright, then great! I hope it works for me, too.

If anyone else has similar experiences to share, please do. Thanks!

4. ani23 macrumors 6502

Good luck. I am thinking if it passed initial authorization you may be good but check the site again if it allows brazil. If it does call them and have them update billing address.

5. tsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that's possible - I pretended I was going to buy something there and there was no option to change the country of the Billing Address.

I guess I can only hope that nothing goes wrong before shipping the device.

Thanks for the post, though.

6. Scidd0w macrumors newbie

I did the exact same as you and I got my iPad2 Thursday last week.
    So I do not think there will be a problem.

7. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

It may not work until they charge the order and find out they have a problem with the Credit Card. Why not have your friends order it and then pay them when you get to the U.S.?

8. tsuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but I didn't want to trouble them with that.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to order a case for my brother's iPhone, using the same method as before, to see if it works. Good news: the case shipped today - yay!

Let's see if my iPad ships alright... =)

Thanks everyone!