Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I'm probably going to buy a refurb iPad Air instead of the Air 2 as I don't see anything on the Air 2 that is compelling to me. Feel free to comment if you think differently.

But I've never considered cellular versions as the data is so expensive. But the T-Mobile freebie, or even some low amount on a prepaid basis is very attractive. Downside is that around my home area TMo is Edge data only. While some would think that horrible, I don't have a lot of use for data when I'm in my home area on a smartphone/iPad when I'm away from the house. But it would be nice to have the plan for my trips to areas where TMo is better.

So about the confusion. The returns usually are AT&T or Verizon versions. Can I just buy one of them, get a TMo sim and be good to go??

Also a TMo question. The 200Mb freebie is for 4G data, does it just then become unlimited Edge speed after that, similar to what it does on the paid data plans.

Thanks

Lloyd

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm probably going to buy a refurb iPad Air instead of the Air 2 as I don't see anything on the Air 2 that is compelling to me. Feel free to comment if you think differently.

But I've never considered cellular versions as the data is so expensive. But the T-Mobile freebie, or even some low amount on a prepaid basis is very attractive. Downside is that around my home area TMo is Edge data only. While some would think that horrible, I don't have a lot of use for data when I'm in my home area on a smartphone/iPad when I'm away from the house. But it would be nice to have the plan for my trips to areas where TMo is better.

So about the confusion. The returns usually are AT&T or Verizon versions. Can I just buy one of them, get a TMo sim and be good to go??

Also a TMo question. The 200Mb freebie is for 4G data, does it just then become unlimited Edge speed after that, similar to what it does on the paid data plans.

Thanks

Lloyd

Yes you can use the AT&T and Verizon versions with T-Mobile as all iPads are unlocked. With the 200MB after you run out the data is totally cut off until the next cycle, no unlimited EDGE.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Thanks.

I wasn't sure how the freebie worked. Maybe if I got the pre-paid 1Gb plan then the data would be essentially unlimited as it is on the phone plans. Or maybe not, the $10 1Gb plan would be enough even if it wasn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.