Buying iPad in 2011: 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr. Incredible, Dec 21, 2010.

?

So what iPad will you get in 2011?

1. The 2nd Gen, It's new!

43 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. The 1st Gen, Price will be lower!

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Neither, I'm happy with my iPad!

26 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Going to sell my iPad and get the 2nd Gen!

15 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

I know that many people here have the iPad already, but I also know that many people here are still waiting to get theirs.

Currently, the iPads are priced as so:

1st Gen iPads
    WiFi:
    16GB: $499
    32GB: $599
    64GB: $699

3G:
    16GB: $629
    32GB: $729
    64GB: $829

I read somewhere that when the 2nd Gen iPad's arrive, the prices for the previous model will drop while the new model takes the original price, as so:

1st Gen iPads
    WiFi:
    16GB: $299
    32GB: $399
    64GB: $499

3G:
    16GB: $429
    32GB: $529
    64GB: $629

2nd Gen iPads
    WiFi:
    16GB: $499
    32GB: $599
    64GB: $699

3G:
    16GB: $629
    32GB: $729
    64GB: $829

I'm not 100% sure about the prices, but I remember reading somewhere that the base iPad ($499) will be $200 lower.

The 2nd Gen iPad is going to have newer features, but we're not sure if the actual look will be completely different or not. A camera (both front and back) will be added, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the appearance will be different.

Also, is there a possibility of a 7inch iPad? Or maybe an even bigger one?

What do some of the members here think? Are you going to wait for the 2nd gen iPad and get that or are you going to wait for the price drop of the 1st gen iPad?

Also, besides the camera in the 2nd gen, what other improvements should we be expecting of the next gen iPad?

2. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I suppose it depends on your needs; I'm happy with the current ipad since I primarily use it as a color ereader and to manage todo lists and projects etc. I imagine the 2nd gen ipad will at least have a facetime camera and maybe an extra usb connection for landscape docking. If video conferencing is important then you may wish to wait for the 2nd gen iPad. If you simply want an ereader/media consumption device then the current model would probably fit the bill.

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

7 inch iPad probably won't happen. Although Steve has often gone back on his word before.

Personally I'll stick with my current iPad, I use it for email and surfing the web, which it does brilliantly. My iPhone will suffice for Photos and Facetime.

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Before I answer, I will remind you that there are a million similar threads just like yours in this very forum. Not sure the reason for you to start a new similar thread.

Anyway, the chances of a 7 inch have been discussed. Jobs has said that 7 inches was simply too small for the things that the iPad was designed for. Unless Apple wants to create a new class of device, we won't see a 7 inch iPad this go round. In the future? Maybe.

Pricing. The tricky part. I do not expect to see a major price drop from the 1st Gen iPads. Apple does sometimes lower prices but why do it when people will likely pay close to full price for the 1st gen as well.

5. Den Deze macrumors newbie

I also had to choose to buy now or wait a few months...
    I bought mine a week ago and i really love it.
    If you want one, buy one, you'll love it ;)

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

You're confusing people's speculation on resale value of the current iPad with a potential pricing strategy by Apple. Apple does not work that way; new models replace older models, they don't coexist. Apple doesn't keep stockpiles of product that need to be cleared out once new models are released (well, not anymore).

7. GnillGnoll macrumors member

iPhone 3GS is still being sold.

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

How about a keeping my first iPad and buying a ipad2

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

What? Can't quite understand what you are trying to say.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At this point, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen. I think it will have at least one camera and will allow users to face time.

11. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Prices:

16GB Wifi - 1st gen - $399
    32GB wifi - 2nd gen - $499
    64GB wifi - 2nd gen - $599

3G, add $100.

12. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

The way I did it was to get one for Christmas and get a new Gen 2 in March. I just got my husband to agree to take the old one:D

13. Coffee87 macrumors regular

Coffee87

I got one this Christmas to share with my wife. When the new ones come out I will probably get me one of those and she will have the 1st Gen all to herself. She's not as hung up on "new is better" as I am. :)

14. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

For me it just depends on what I can afford when my student loan money comes in. :D I have to replace my computer and after a lot of deliberation, getting everyone's thoughts here- I am leanign towards the MBP and a large monitor...If I do that, do I *really* need an iPad?!?! :eek: it's so hard to decide.

I don't need it to have a camera and crap if I do get it- I've got my Touch, webcam in the computer, etc,etc...How many crappy cameras does one need anyway? LOL

15. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

My plan as well.

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Sounds like you student loan is going to be too much if you are going to throw money away on stuff like this rather than essential requirements.

17. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Hardly. A computer IS a VERY essential requirement.

18. drjsway macrumors 6502a

I agree. An iPad is all a student really needs. Word processing, Internet for research, e-textbooks.

19. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Not university students on detailed courses, you get swamped with papers, footnotes and annexes, it'd be impossible to organise those in pages.

Its just not designed for that complexity.

20. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Many college students already have laptops, plus they weigh a ton compared to the iPad. I don't think it's a waste of student loan loan money to buy an iPad to do work on the go then transfer it your laptop when u get home.

I played football in college. The iPad would've went with me on away games waaaay before my laptop did. I could have easily did some research In the browser and typed up a **** load of stuff that could have been transferred to my laptop when I got back to campus. Basically I could have done a lot of time saving work with my iPad on the road.

Plus for me, it would have replaced my iPod, textbooks, and PSP, portable & DVD player. I don't understand why people are still underestimating and downplaying the iPad. The fact that it lasts 10 hours is enough to make it a beast alone.

21. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i'm probably going to buy one now and if the 2nd one is worth upgrading to i'll sell the first one :D

22. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

After seeing this rumor, I am definitely keeping my current iPad. I don't want a camera and don't need a big speaker. As for the screen resolution... I'm not sure higher resolution is a good idea for the touch screen. The font will be smaller, and it'll be more difficult to tap those links without zooming in every time.

23. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

But Uncle Stevey said no 7-inch iPad. :confused: