Buying iPad3 in Dubai for UK use

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iknowgungfu, Aug 23, 2012.

1. iknowgungfu macrumors member

Hey all,

I have been trying to find out (with little success) if an iPad3 bought at Dubai airport would be fully functional in the UK? I have a UK account for my iPhone etc but am unsure whether a non-EU/UK iPad would be fully functional when back in UK.

I have heard that Facetime would not be available for iPads bought over there.

Cheers in advance folks!

2. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Now I might be wrong, but am pretty sure every iPad in every country is exactly the same. The only difference is with the mains adapter, but you could get a UK one. This is for wifi, though. I dunno about 4G.

3. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

4. barkomatic, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, it will be fully functional. As long as you sign in with your UK based iTunes account (while in the UK ) then you'll be good to go with a wifi only iPad purchased anywhere. Any other streaming app that requires a subscription of some kind will work while in the U.K. if you sign in.

However, if you take the iPad out of the U.K. and try to rent, buy or stream media while abroad you may not be permitted to do so. Media already purchased should work fine though.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah especially wifi only. The 3g/4g carrier apn would be the only thing youd have to worry about, but even that you shouldnt they have the global one, and the verizon one.

6. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

This - I bought mine in the States, and it works perfectly here in the UK.

Tiptopp

7. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh. So I wouldnt be able to activate it in Dubai? My account is uk based for all my iPods and iPhones.

8. dchao, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

dchao macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can sign into your UK iTunes account from anywhere. I'm in the UK right now, signed into my US account.

iPad charger is international, but you probably won't get the UK plug version, you might need an adapter when you get back to the UK.

9. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for info all!
    Just hope the price is worth it (got my hopes up now!)

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

Can I ask how much it is at the Dubai Airport?

Also if you have the Facetime app preloaded on your iPad, then it should work when you are in Dubai. Just make sure the time and time zone is correctly set, otherwise, FaceTime wouldn't be able to locate yor iPad.

11. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure but fly there in early September. Not sure about it now though as lots of websites state that FaceTime is removed on all UAE apple products......

12. ziffos macrumors member

ziffos

I am also sure that your Facetime will NOT work - all other functions will be fine.

13. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

Dealbreaker for me then. I use it quite a lot on my iPhone to chat to my nieces. Despite Skype doing the same thing they are used to facetime.

May just bite the bullet and get one here instead (unless duty free dixons at Manchetser airport are cheaper......)

14. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

It will work fine, you will just need to purchase an adapter when you get to the UK.

15. iknowgungfu thread starter macrumors member

I am positive now that Facetime is impossible to install on any iPAD bought in UAE/Dubai. Apparently the app is completely forbidden by the government there and the facetime app is locked out for any serial number originating in UAE.

Cheers for all the help though. Think I need to get one here instead (unless the dubai stores stock EU stock ;))

16. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Someone somewhere said Jailbreak the device and install the FaceTime hacktivator tweak from Cydia.