Buying iPhone 3G at Apple Store help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Streetmagus, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Streetmagus macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here is able to help answer a few questions I have about purchasing an iPhone 3G at the Apple Retail Store.

Heres the story:

This morning, I went to the Apple Retail Store to buy an iPhone 3G. I was the 3rd person in line. My AT&T plan is a family plan, with 3 numbers. Two of which are iPhone lines, and the 3rd is just a regular line. When I bought the first 2 iPhones, I had to sign away my discounts (IRU crap). So I thought I no longer received any discounts. So I waited in line, and when the apple staff came by to have me 'pre approved', I get this "IRU Error" and she told me about it, what it was and stuff, and she told me I can't buy an iPhone 3G at the store. I had to go to an AT&T store. I was very disappointed, since I had already waited 2 hours and had to wake up early in the morning.

Anyways, it turns out the guy in front of me had the same problem, and he works for AT&T. So, he calls AT&T to take off those discounts, and I do the same. The AT&T guy on the phone told me he took all discounts off my plan, and that I should have no problem buying the iPhone 3G or getting errors. Then he explained to me how once I buy an iPhone 3G, I can add those discounts again. I was happy, thinking everything will work out, that the IRU error will be gone.

So I waited another 3 minutes for the Apple store employee to help me. Turns out she comes out of the store saying, 'You're still here?' and I say 'Yeah, I just called AT&T and had them remove the discounts and he says that my account is free of any discounts and I should be fine buying the iPhone' then she tells me how its store policy that they can't sall any iPHones to anyone with an IRU error. So I asked her if I could have her run my number, info, etc on her little device again, and she said No. She told me theres no point, that it'll just show up as an IRU error again. Then the guy in front of me told her that the discounts have been removed so it should be fine, its instant and no longer on the account. Then the lady tells us both that their system is different, and we have to wait 24 hours before the hold is taken off.

So I left the mall empty handed. The guy in front of me, however, is signing up for a new account, buying the iphone 3g, and then cancelling the account, or something along those lines.

Anyways, the questions I have are as follows.

If my account was flagged as IRU error, if I got my IRU discount taken off the account, is it necessary that I needed to wait 24 hours, even though its instant on AT&T's end? I really wanted to see for myself that she ran the info again, but she refused.

If I took the other route, and opened a new account, bought the phone, and later transfer the phone to my real account and cancelled the new account, would I get smacked in the face with large fees?

I was reading around about this IRU issue, it seems like it was no problem before, where you can just detach the IRU and buy the phone same day, but there are cases where people had to wait 3 days, or even one website stating that if anyone's account has every had IRU, they would never sell it to them no matter what. Does anyone have any UP TO DATE information on this?

I went to AT&T store today and made sure that there were no more IRU/FAN/CRU crap on my account, they said there is none and that I should have no problem buying at the Apple Retail Store, Does anyone know if this is still true? Has Apple Policies changed, to where they won't sell it to anyone who has ever been flagged IRU error ? The AT&T rep also said something about it might take longer for apple system to update my status or something.

Do you think I should go back tomorrow morning, or am I gonna get rejected once more?

Thanks !

2. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Maybe the AT&T rep was right that Apple's system may take a while to be updated. So, if the Apple Store isn't far, I'd give it another try, maybe with a different "genius" who will be more helpful.

3. shinenjk macrumors regular

My story's sort of similar, and I did what the guy in front of you did. I made a new account with AT&T and got a new number. Then I called AT&T and spent about 2 hrs on the phone with a manager to cancel the new one, and then transfer my iPhone info into the old account, then put a new SIM card into my iPhone. I did not want to wait any longer and it was the only way to work around the error.

4. Streetmagus thread starter macrumors newbie

There is not fee for closing the new account? I thought opening a new account and buying the iphone means new 2 year contract.

The Apple store is about 35 mins away -_- I think I'll go back there tomorrow, if it still fails then I will open a new account and do it that way. I don't want to wait 2 weeks to get one from AT&T

5. shinenjk macrumors regular

I closed the new account and there is no ETF if you do this within like 14 days or something. Regardless, the manager was smart enough to understand what was going on. Well hopefully by tomorrow, that IRU problem won't show up again. I have to warn you though, if they reslap those discounts back on, it might take 2-3 billing cycles to show up.