Buying Iphone 3g form Apple Store.. Help Urgent..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sagarrana55, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sagarrana55 macrumors member

hey guys my friend wants to buy an iphone 3g.. without AT&T contract and he wants to buy it from apple store.. he wants to buy $200 one locked.. and then he wants unlock by gevey turbo sim.. but i heard that apple store won;t give $200 iphone with out AT&T contract. we have to buy contract right away in store.. is it true?? and can i tell apple store representative that i want to gift iphone to my friend and he will buy contract later.. will they give me only iphone ($200 one).. please help..

2. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

They won't sell it to you unless you sign a contract. Not at Apple, not at AT&T.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Have to hit up Ebay if you want an iPhone without an AT&T contract.

4. jlwillia macrumors regular

sign the contract, cancel in 30 days

Someone else could probably confirm or deny this better than I, but I think you can sign the ATT contract and cancel within 30 days and only lose the activation fees. The 30 days is like a trial period. However, I don't know if you will be asked to return the phone or not. Anyone know how/if that works?

I know that's not too much help, but it sounds like you are looking for any and all ideas...

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have no idea what they'll do, but the $200 price is heavily subsidised. AT&T gives Apple a few hundred dollars to get the phone that cheap. They're either going to want the phone back or the cash!

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they haven't heard that one before...:rolleyes:

"Give me the phone for $200 and I PROMISE I'll sign the contract later..."

7. sagarrana55 thread starter macrumors member

so do u guys have any idea how can he buy ipphone 3g without AT&T contract casue i really want to use T-mobile.. not AT$T please help..

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I seem to recall reading that if you cancel early AT&T demands the phone back plus a restocking fee. If you don't return it, they charge you the difference. I'm sure it's all there in the fine print...

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

You can't get the iPhone 3g for $200 anywhere, even a used one. Att or apple will never sell you one without a contract yet (it's comming for $600 and $700). You can sign the contract and cancel after 30 days, but you will have to pay the $175 etf plus the one months service and it will end up costin about $500.

10. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

you can't use the iphone 3G for T-Mobile anyways...

11. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, you can

12. sagarrana55 thread starter macrumors member

guys can i go to apple and tell them that i want to gift this iphone to my friend and then he will buy contract from AT&T later... can i do that??

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

No, you have to sign a contract at the time of sale.

I'm sure Apple has heard that request before, however.

14. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, you can go tell them that. Will they give you one? Well, No. Because everyone would do this to buy phones cheap and sell them for more money and make a lot of profit

15. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

The phone is for the ATT network.

It is advertised and described as to be used only for the ATT network.

You are not going to get one from Apple or ATT (no matter how many ways you attempt to lie to them).

Switch to ATT or deal with no 3G phone.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You can but it will be on EDGE only no 3G. Why? Because T-mobile 3G operates on different frequencies that ATT 3G.

17. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I read somewhere that you could get 3G in some areas, where the 3G is 2100hz, or something like that

18. sagarrana55 thread starter macrumors member

thanx for ur answer guys...... ok so guys can please tell me now what option do i have..... can i get at&t contract and cancel it between 30 days.. will they ask me to return it?? guys please give me some ideas... many people here uses t-mobile on iphone.. did they all buy it for $500????? i doubt it....

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

your only option: Get it for 200$(300$ for the 16GB), wait 30 days, pay the 175$ EFT charge totaling to 375 for the phone and the EFT, plus the first month's bill= ~450$ then get the SIM card unlock= 490$ for everything.

20. sagarrana55 thread starter macrumors member

ohhh ****... i was thinking that i can buy it but thanx for the info guys... i am disappointed......

21. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you want to use it for T-Mobile, you can get the First Gen. iPhone and then software unlock that, and it'll pretty much be the exact same seeing as how T-Mobile's 3G sucks..oh and you'll have a cool lookin aluminum back!!

22. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

No you can't. T-Mobile's 3G uses a different band that requires a chip capable of handling their oddball frequency. Even though the iPhone overlaps into the 2100 range, it's not the same. I don't remember the technical specs, but supposedly it means T-Mobile needs a special version of any 3G phones to get 3G.

23. Xtgirl macrumors regular

You might as well just buy a 2G iphone off craigslist or ebay...since you can't use the 3G for 3G anyway....so buy the old iPhone and you can unlock that for T-mobile and save yourself some frustration and money...

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Some idiot traded their 8gb iPhone 3G for my iPod touch. :cool: I am really lucky. That's how I got mine for t-mobile.

25. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

how is he an idiot, he got what he wanted didnt he.