Buying iPhone 3G in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elven, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all.

I am toying with getting the iPhone 3G in the UK, my local O2 shop was useless in advice other than pushing a £45 tariff for getting the phone for free.

Now what I need to know is how much for a few things and how things work?

1) Accident Cover how much where from and how good is the cover

2) Do I get the White 16G for the £45 tariff? as this is the one I'm after

Thanks

BTW anyone on iChat? I'm elvendesires2k9@aim.com

2. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

The white version apparently has problems with hairline cracks forming easily. Caveat emptor.

3. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

So I have heard, but are they being exchanged at Apple stores?

4. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

No idea about policy on this one. Some threads here have mentioned stores pinning the blame on the user for "dropping" the phone.

5. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

So the black one is the one to get, has anyone here got one in the UK and could give me info on their payplan and accident cover?

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sure, I'm on £35pm (do you need the extra minutes?) and my iPhone is on my home insurance.

Stay away from POS mobile phone insurance (Point of Sale or Piece of Sh*t, freely interchangeable) if you can help it :) Remember, you've got a warranty with Apple for a year anyway should it go technically wrong.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

Has anyone seen actual photos of these "cracks"? I have heard all the rants but have yet to see any photos as proof.

8. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

Er...there is a massive thread on this forum with plenty of photos.

9. Brenster macrumors 6502

Got the 16GB black here, so I had the same amount of storage as my old iPod touch. The black iPhone is a fingerprint magnet but seems utterly robust otherwise.

Started last month on the £30 plan (75mins/125texts) but have since moved up to the £35 plan as I've been burning through my text allowance.

Didn't bother with either Carphone Warehouse's or O2's insurance as 1) They seemed quite expensive 2) As a seasoned Mac user, I'm more than happy with Apple's 1 year hardware cover (hoping that Applecare for iPhone makes a re-appearance) and 3) My home insurance covers most of the rest that could go wrong.

Work out how many texts & minutes you need/currently use and go for the plan that matches. Be mindful that out of bundle mins & texts can be quite expensive but don't go for masses more than you currently use or need. Remember that your internet data usage is included whichever plan you go for.

If in doubt, start on the £30pm plan as you can always go up to a higher tarrif if needed - you won't be able to come down the tarrifs until 9 months in at the earliest.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

My bad, I just found the thread. The firewall here must block the photos as most didn't show up (nothing at all). I had to dig a little to see them. Still a newbie here... ;)

11. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

I noticed alot of you guys mention a £35 tariff, the guy never mentioned that one, what minutes do you get and how much did you pay for your iPhone?

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The tariff details are here.

13. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hmmm very interested, given the problems with the White 16GB iPhones which is the model I had an interest in, I'd perhaps do well to get the 8GB Free iPhone?