Buying iPhone 3GS in 2011!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jungeliest, Aug 28, 2011.

1. jungeliest macrumors member

Hi there! Vodafone in my country offers iPhone 3GS 8 GB for $ 9.99 extra each month. I'll have to pay the said amount for another 24 months.

Is it a good deal or would it be better to wait the iP5 so I can get the iP4 for a better price?

It will be my first smart phone :) And no, any Android phone is out of the question, my every other tech toy is branded Apple.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does that price include any calls, SMSs or data? It sounds like a good price but data plans etc can easily make it $30 a month. 3GS is getting a bit old too and it won't be supported when iOS 6 comes.

3. jungeliest thread starter macrumors member

Well, I pay $44.99 for voice, data and SMSs already. 2000 minutes, 2000 SMSs, 2000 MBs.

I actually don't care that the 3Gs is two years old nor do I care about iOS 6. What worries me is the 3Gs being somewhat more fragile than the iP4.

What I like about my MB is the build quality and the battery life. I suspect that the 3Gs is not on par on these aspects.

4. jmpnop, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

When the next iPhone comes out, iPhone 4 will be available for $50 more than 3GS which is simply worth. Or you can consider the rumored cheaper version of iPhone 4 which will be available unlocked.

5. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

Don't do it man!

I'd get the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 comes out...

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I would wait. Cuz if u want an affordable iPhone I'm sure the iPhone 4 will be very affordable when the iPhone 5 get release.

7. jungeliest thread starter macrumors member

8. VeganHipster macrumors regular

If anything the iPhone 4 would be more fragile since both the front and the back are made of glass, whereas the iPhone 3GS front is glass and back is plastic.

You should just save up money for the iPhone 5 or iPhone 4GS. I don't see a point in buying a single-core phone anyways, heck, even quad-core phones are supposedly around the corner. Just think if you did have to have the iPhone 4 all the way until 2013, it won't have the latest software update most likely.

If you don't want to do that though and want to stay on the cheaper side, there is supposedly an iPhone 4 8gb model coming out soon.