Buying iPhone 3GS in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pika, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Looks like pricing will, in fact, be ridiculous. $799 for the 16GB, $899 for the 32GB

As much as I like having an Apple Newton and an Apple Portable, and my other legacy stuff, and my iPhone 3G, I'd like a new toaster too.

I did skip the original iPhone. And I missed out on the Compact Disc revolution as well.

2. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Don't be ridiculous. Go to the Rogers or Fido websites (the two carriers in Canada that have iPhones, of course) and take a look at the FAQ about the phones. I'll paste a piece from it, followed by the link in which I found it:

Questions and Answers

FAQs for NEW iPhone 3G S
    What will be Rogers Pricing for the new iPhone models?
    Device Pricing as of June 19
    (With 3yr Voice and Data Plan)

NEW 16GB iPhone 3G S: $199
    NEW 32GB iPhone 3G S: $299

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/iphone_faqs?setLanguage=en

The prices in the link you provided are for non-contract prices; get yourself a contract and you're only paying the 199 or 299 like everyone else.

3. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

Wich is cheaper?

-Get the iPhone 3GS for 799$ or 899$ + no-contract and keep the old iPhone 3G + keep the old contract
    -Cancel the old iPhone 3G contract and get the new iPhone 3G with a new cantract for 199$ or 299$

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Depends on what your early termination fee is. I think there's a maximum they can charge so if that's less than 600$ it might be something to consider if you really want the 3GS... or just wait a couple months until the launch has passed and there isn't so much hype around the phone. I would think that around Christmas time you might have a better chance of getting a decent deal on upgrading (key word: might)... I should also add that is all speculation based on nothing.

5. cere macrumors 6502

Rogers/Fido have a standard max ECF of $400 for the voice portion and $100 for your data portion (less if you have very few months left on your contract).

The non-contract prices are pretty high and it is unfortunate that Rogers does not see the value of providing partial subsidies with extended contracts for existing customer to upgrade at an affordable price.

You could pay your ECF and see what you can sell your 3G for to bring it down a bit. For me, the currently available pricing just makes a modestly compelling hardware upgrade completely non-compelling.

6. taran420 macrumors 6502a

those no-contact prices arent confirmed by rogers, so i would wait and see for all the opitions, hopefully they release something today

7. cere macrumors 6502

True enough.

8. fredf macrumors 6502

If you break the contract early, it is a fee of $20 per month remaining on the contract to a maximum of $400. This is still $100 cheaper than buying the phone without a contract.

9. cere macrumors 6502

It is (if the speculated prices are correct) but then you have to consider next year and the year after that. If you pay the ECF, buy the 3Gs and re-sign for another 3 years, then next year, when the release another model, you are in the same position again. If you buy the at the non-contract price and keep your existing contract, then next year you maybe able to upgrade at a subsidized price and certainly the following year, at the end of your original 3 year term, you would be able to upgrade at the fully subsidized price. Assuming next year's model will be better than the 3Gs, having to decide again whether you want to pay the ECF or non-contract price again will get expensive.

Or the third option of sitting this cycle out and waiting until next year for the new model and subsidized pricing. This is my route.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I think that they could get a lot of people pay upwards of 400$ (probably even more) AND still sign a three-year contract to get out of their current 3G contract and buy the new phone... beats paying 799 without a contract (for rogers i mean) because they get a higher price than the regular 3-year price AND they keep you in a new contract.

11. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

What about...

If i go to an apple store i can buy an unsubsidized iphone with no contract?

12. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In Canada, iPhones have so far only been available through Rogers/Fido stores and franchisees, not in Apple stores. (Not that it matters; the majority of Canadian towns and cities are not located within convenient driving distance of an Apple Store anyway.)

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040