buying iphone 4 and canceling contract, total cost?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soni2926, Dec 9, 2010.

1. soni2926 macrumors member

Hi,
    A friend overseas asked me to get them an iphone 4, i'm currently an at&t user. so just wanted to see if anyone knows the total cost of getting the iphone 4 and then canceling the contract. i had:
    iphone 4 - 199 (smaller size) + plus tax
    cancellation fee - 325
    hold contract for 1 month - 70

is that it? i wasn't sure if i had to maintain the contract for a month or longer, or if there were any other fees?

thanks.

2. Merkie macrumors 68020

I would recommend against getting an AT&T iPhone for your friend. AT&T iPhones are simlocked, and unlocking is a hassle. There are plenty of factory unlocked iPhones available in Europe, he should get one of those. It might be a bit more expensive, but it's so worth it. The days that unlocking was a breeze are over.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Currently AT&T iPhone 4's are not unlockable so that isn't a good idea. Plus once you cancel the contract it's not much more expensive for your friend to buy a factory unlocked one somewhere else.

4. soni2926 thread starter macrumors member

Aren't there already jailbreaks available, allowing people to unlock the iphone 4? I understand it's locked when i buy, he was actually planning to unlock it overseas.

5. lapocompris macrumors regular

Just read the iPhone hack forum...

6. vachargerfan macrumors regular

If you want a US iPhone, why not buy it at the non contract price?

non contract iPhone (599)

contract/cancel (199 + 325 + 70 = 594)

Not really worth the hassle

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

plus $18 activation total $612

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is a jb but no unlock available yet. Also if he ever updates or restores it will lock back to AT&T.
    Tell him to find a factory unlocked iPhone cause all US iPhones are locked to AT&T.

9. soni2926 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info, do they sell these directly at the apple store or at&t store? as i checked online and didn't see the option on either apple or at&t store to just buy the phone without a contract.

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

Can't you read? Don't buy AT&T iPhones if you don't use AT&T. Unlocking is almost impossible.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think if you want one without a contract you have to buy it at the Apple store, but as other people and I have said unless you plan to use it on AT&T it is a very bad idea since THERE IS NO UNLOCK CURRENTLY and we don't know if there will be. Your friend should buy a factory unlocked iPhone from another country, they aren't that much more expensive than a no contract phone in the US and you don't have to deal with hacking it.

12. soni2926 thread starter macrumors member

the country he is from doesn't have the iphone, that's why he was asking me to get one from here. but if there is no unlock out yet for the iphone4 then there is no point, i thought the devteam or another team had already put out an unlock for it.

13. feelings macrumors newbie

Dude why don't you buy the factory unlocked one from Canada. Here's the link: Apple.ca

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They put an unlock for older firmware, the newer iphones sold now cannot be unlocked yet.
    And the unlock is not a permanent solution, if anything happens and he restores or updates it then it will lock again.
    Many countries sell it factory unlocked like Canada, Mexico and most places in Europe Etc....

If it was only that easy.
    They wont ship anywhere BUT in Canada.

15. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

If you buy from apple.ca you can only get it shipped to an Canadian address.
    Decent assumption that if hes talking about AT&T's ETF hes probably in the U.S.