Buying iPhone 4 outright with no commitment, only at the Applestore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nph, Jun 22, 2010.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I will buy the iPhone without contract but where can I do that?
    Will it only be possible at Applestore or would Best Buy or ATT store be a possibility? (Dare I say Walmart as well?)

Would prefer to not have to stand line at Apple if at all possible.

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

What I've heard so far is that nobody will be selling the iPhone 4 without a contract at launch. That won't return until after demand settles down.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

4. Nautigar macrumors regular

iPhone 4 without SIM-lock and contract

Hello,

you can order an unlocked iPhone without a contract in the Apple Online Store in the UK and in France (store.apple.com/uk, store.apple.com/fr). You can use your standard Apple account to order, but you need to give them a shipping address in the UK or in France. If you happen to know somebody there, you can have the phone sent to them and ask them to forward it to you.

I am living in Germany and ordered one from France that way. An ex-colleague of me is living there.

Matthias.

5. mpetrides macrumors member

I was able to order a no-committment iPhone 4 at full retail price (ulp!) from the Apple online store the other day. Of course, since it was not ordered on the 15th (couldn't get through to a human being that day) it won't arrive with the first batch.

I'm not sure I would have been able to do so if I didn't already have an ATT account, but those who do already have an ATT account should have no problem ordering by calling the Apple online store.:D

6. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Apple store here will not sell without activation with AT&T in store at time of purchase. Confirmed with the manager yesterday as I hoped to take my reserved phone with me without activating so I could go over to the AT&T store to get it put on my Premier account.

7. ericwang macrumors member

I think they will be available eventually at the Apple Store, BestBuy and At&t Stores (not sure about Wal-Mart) but because pre-order demand was so high, it would be rare to find one. Good luck!

8. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I thought that all iPhones sold in the US were locked to AT&T.

If you want an unlocked iPhone without going to France and can wait a few weeks, find someone in Canada. iPhone 4 will be sold unlocked at Apple.ca up here for full retail price (currently not listed on the website).

It says right on Apple's website that we will be free to jump from carrier to carrier, completely unlocked.

Yeah Canada!

9. Jnyce macrumors regular

i called apple yesterday and since my second line is not eligible for early upgrade or subsidized prices they told me with my reserve i could get one with no commitment.