Buying iPhone 4 tomrrow.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mac., Oct 6, 2010.

1. Mac. macrumors 6502

Hi, I'm buying my iPhone 4 tomorrow. I definitely want to Jailbreak it.

Can you give me some advice on what and what NOT to do? I haven't had an iPhone for 5 months, so I have no idea what OS version is currently out etc.. will iTunes prompt me to update as I plug in my iPhone for the first time?

Thanks in advance!

:apple:

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Chances are that you are getting an iPhone with 4.1 (4.0.2 at the best) which you cannot currently Jailbreak. You have to wait a bit.

As far as what to do, I would say, go ahead and download Tiny Umbrella and save your SHSH for 4.1.

Don't update using iTunes when 4.2 comes out, or install 4.2 beta.

If you only been away from iOS for 5 months, i can tell you that not much have change, you'll have HDR Photos builded in, Facetime to people with new iPod Touch, proximity and bluetooth are working better (based on some reports), 4.2 (to be released sometime in Nov) will bring some pretty cool new stuff Like AirPlay and Print (iPad).

3. I3eXa macrumors 6502

the current iOS is 4.1 and they say 4.2 will be release in november (wireless printing from iphone, yada yada) but there is no jailbreak released to the public as of yet...so you will have to wait like the rest of us

4. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

I thought saving shsh was only for jailbroken iPhones? They are saved to reserve the ability to downgrade in the future, am I right?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above, doubt you'll be able to JB it.
    You will have to wait.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't need to be Jailbroken to save your SHSH, and they are like a gun or a condom, is better to have them and no need them, than need them and no have them.

We don;t know what the upgrade/update path for a 4.1/4.2 or maybe 4.3, 4.4 ....5.0 is going to be, it maybe that Apple all the sudden start implementing some crazy and new super tech security mesure and the initial way to get around it (while hacker find a better/proper way) is to downgrade to 4.1 ...if you got your shsh..them no problem :D

it is just best practice, even if you are not JB or are not planning to anytime soon (you never know when something may come out that you MUST have )

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I like that analogy:D

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

I don't think the iOS 4.1 jailbreak will get released, honestly. We're not too far out from iOS 4.2, so it would make more sense to wait to release it, despite the fact that I'd LOVE a 4.1 JB. :)

9. Mac. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like I'll just ave to wait then :eek:

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

There is a flaw in your understanding of the new jailbreak. This jailbreak, unlike the past 2 jailbreak tools, uses an exploit that a firmware update does not block.

So, it makes no difference what-so-ever if the jailbreak is released before or after 4.2 firmware is released.

The only factor here is how quickly they can get it packaged for release.

11. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

If you read some of the tweets from the ChronicDevTeam, you'll find out that they are not waiting until 4.2, but waiting until they have a nice stable release. If that happens to be after 4.2, then so be it, but that is not their posted strategy.