Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hello,

I am currently living in Costa Rica and I'm hoping to switch my Google Nexus One with an iPhone 4, but I really do not want an iPhone working through a jailbreak, I'm interested in factory unlocked so I can keep my iPhone 100% retail and clean. I was wondering if anyone has tried doing such thing? Is it a good idea? I have a friend who lives in Canada, I was hoping on asking her to buy it and send it to me.

What do you think?

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
It's no problem to buy one from the Canadian Apple Store online and have it sent to a Canadian address. Last I heard there were still lineups at Canadian Apple stores, but that was a while ago. If your friend activates it with a Canadian SIM, it will be unlocked, then it can be shipped from Canada to your place. I am not certain offhand what happens if you try to activate an unlocked phone in a market where the iPhone is not officially sold, or is only sold locked.

LucasG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
So you need to activate it first? What is it like an Apple check to activate with a Canadian company? After that it becomes "unlocked" for real? I could ask her to turn on the phone with her current sim, turn it on and activate it I guess? Then send it.

prokrastinator

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I bought my unlocked iPhone 4 directly from the Canadian Apple online store. I activated it with my AT&T SIM card and iTunes displayed "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked".

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I bought my unlocked iPhone 4 directly from the Canadian Apple online store. I activated it with my AT&T SIM card and iTunes displayed "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked".

But you can not buy an Unlocked in Canada and have it shipped to the USA correct?

This is my issue I would then have to goto Canada to get the unlocked version, in which case the 7 days per year I am out of the Country it might just pay to use my AT&T version and pay the charges.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
But you can not buy an Unlocked in Canada and have it shipped to the USA correct?
Correct. And you can also have warranty issues as Apple only provides warranty in the country where you bought the phone. Apple may allow you to send it in from a non-Canadian address but for sure they will only ship it back to a Canadian address.

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Correct. And you can also have warranty issues as Apple only provides warranty in the country where you bought the phone. Apple may allow you to send it in from a non-Canadian address but for sure they will only ship it back to a Canadian address.

That kinda sucks in case you ever move... I wonder if that changes if you get AppleCare. I could see a lot of people needing to move within 2 or 3 years of buying something, maybe for work, etc.

Anyone know if there are still lines at Apple stores in Canada? The stock in the US has finally leveled out I think to the point where you can walk in and get one but I haven't heard any updates on Canada.

jay.w

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
That kinda sucks in case you ever move... I wonder if that changes if you get AppleCare. I could see a lot of people needing to move within 2 or 3 years of buying something, maybe for work, etc.

Anyone know if there are still lines at Apple stores in Canada? The stock in the US has finally leveled out I think to the point where you can walk in and get one but I haven't heard any updates on Canada.

That's still the case in Calgary. I gave up and ordered an unlocked one from the Apple store last week.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Directly from the Canadian Apple store? Was the phone shipped to a Canadian address first or shipped to you in the US from Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.