Buying iPhone 4 unlocked in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LucasG, Oct 12, 2010.

1. LucasG macrumors regular

LucasG

Hello,

I am currently living in Costa Rica and I'm hoping to switch my Google Nexus One with an iPhone 4, but I really do not want an iPhone working through a jailbreak, I'm interested in factory unlocked so I can keep my iPhone 100% retail and clean. I was wondering if anyone has tried doing such thing? Is it a good idea? I have a friend who lives in Canada, I was hoping on asking her to buy it and send it to me.

What do you think?

2. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

It's no problem to buy one from the Canadian Apple Store online and have it sent to a Canadian address. Last I heard there were still lineups at Canadian Apple stores, but that was a while ago. If your friend activates it with a Canadian SIM, it will be unlocked, then it can be shipped from Canada to your place. I am not certain offhand what happens if you try to activate an unlocked phone in a market where the iPhone is not officially sold, or is only sold locked.

3. LucasG thread starter macrumors regular

LucasG

So you need to activate it first? What is it like an Apple check to activate with a Canadian company? After that it becomes "unlocked" for real? I could ask her to turn on the phone with her current sim, turn it on and activate it I guess? Then send it.

4. prokrastinator macrumors newbie

I bought my unlocked iPhone 4 directly from the Canadian Apple online store. I activated it with my AT&T SIM card and iTunes displayed "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked".

5. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

That answers my question then. :)

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

That's awesome news! How much do unlocked iPhones cost in Canada? :)

7. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

659/779 CAD + tax

8. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Merci beaucoup! :cool:

9. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

And tax varies by province. In Ontario, it's 13%. In Alberta, 5%. And different elsewhere.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

But you can not buy an Unlocked in Canada and have it shipped to the USA correct?

This is my issue I would then have to goto Canada to get the unlocked version, in which case the 7 days per year I am out of the Country it might just pay to use my AT&T version and pay the charges.

11. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Correct. And you can also have warranty issues as Apple only provides warranty in the country where you bought the phone. Apple may allow you to send it in from a non-Canadian address but for sure they will only ship it back to a Canadian address.

12. acarney macrumors 6502

That kinda sucks in case you ever move... I wonder if that changes if you get AppleCare. I could see a lot of people needing to move within 2 or 3 years of buying something, maybe for work, etc.

Anyone know if there are still lines at Apple stores in Canada? The stock in the US has finally leveled out I think to the point where you can walk in and get one but I haven't heard any updates on Canada.

13. jay.w macrumors newbie

That's still the case in Calgary. I gave up and ordered an unlocked one from the Apple store last week.

14. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Directly from the Canadian Apple store? Was the phone shipped to a Canadian address first or shipped to you in the US from Apple?

15. SnowDX macrumors 6502

From his post it sounded to like he lives in Calgary, not in the U.S.

16. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I don't see where prokrastinator mentioned living in Calgary. ???