Buying iPhone 4 unlocked in HK

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HappyFace, Jun 19, 2010.

1. HappyFace macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Im flying to HK on the 28th of June for 6 weeks and plan on buying the iPhone 4, I live in Ireland and would like to know if its a better idea to purchase on in HK or wait until I get home?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated :D

2. outaru macrumors member

The later I think is the best option, we don't wanna end up buying black market iPhone 4 eh?

3. HappyFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course and no guarantee with them either :D

Thank you for the reply its appreciated

There are official apple stores there would it be better to purchase them there or here in Ireland?:D

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Can you get it in Ireland officially unlocked also?
    Not sure what the price difference would be in your country or in HK and the currency exchange rate.

5. sjdigital macrumors regular

By the time you get back home the rush might have died down and you could get an unlocked 16GB in the Apple Store in Belfast for £499. How does that compare with HK prices?

6. HappyFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately here in Ireland the iPhone 4 is being tied to o2 Vodafone and 3 and I am a Meteor customer and would not like to change,the exchange rate is usually €1 =10$ HK Dollars and they are meant to be selling the 32GB for $6999, I will also have a friend coming home from New York in august would it be better to have him get me one there?

Thanks for all the great replies :D

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The prices in hk should be $6300 for the 32gb and $5400 for the 16gb if its anything like the prices were for the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Keep in mind it usually takes about 2 weeks for it to ship (3GS was in high demand last year, by the looks of it the iP4 will be the same) so don't expect "Ships within 24 hours". It comes out 'sometime' in July here in HK not next week like in the US so you should keep that in mind.

8. HappyFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow so i got quoted a good bit off the planned price :D
    I do plan on giving in my old phone(HTC Tytn II) but i know this mightened be the right place to be asking about how much i should get etc.
    I researched and found apple stores in HK which will be selling unlock iPhone 4's and im there until the 10th of August so i assume they wont be sold out.. :D

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, all US iphones are locked to AT&T.
    There's no factory unlocked iphones sold in the US.
    In Canada Yes.

10. HappyFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Another Question

Where in HK will I be able to get a micro sim OR do i need one?because i know that my network (Meteor in Ireland) do not do them to my knowledge.

SO what should I do?:D

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just cut your regural sim to a microsim size.

12. HappyFace thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any tutorials available online?:D

Also should I wait until I com home after purchasing it to register it with itunes OR do it in HK? :D