Buying iphone 5 from ebay uk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hobbit, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Hobbit macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a 64GB iphone 5 from ebay UK for £450. The phone is advertised as new. The seller had a problem with his iphone battery and says that he went to Apple store and they replaced it with this new one. The phone was only turned on once buy the genius bar technician who inserted the sim card and said the phone was good to go. It was not connected to itunes or registered.

I would appreciate anyone's advice on whether or not this is a good deal. Is this replacement phone from Apple truly a new phone? Is there anything i need to be careful about?

Does anyone know how long Apple warranty is on replacement phones and can I extend the warranty at apple for a cost?

Many thanks.

2. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Make sure to ask the seller if the iPhone still has AppleCare left and to show proof of it. AppleCare transfers from the iPhone that was replaced to the replacement.

3. Hobbit thread starter macrumors member

4. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Ask him for the serial number so you can check the warranty.

Failing that Paypal buyer protection has you covered.

5. FlameRevenge macrumors member

You only get 1 year apple care on iPhone, btw for that price with faulty battery is way too much, let me put it into perspective for you, I sold my iphone 5 32gb in like new condition for £500 1.5 months ago, so this phone is only worth £300 on its condition and £400 like new now, so only offer they guy £300 for it, if he sells it to you, you can buy a new battery for £20 off eBay with the opening tools to the iPhone 5, and just watch a video in YouTube on how to do it, and you save allot of money, it's real easy, good luck #

6. mrwibble macrumors newbie

mrwibble

I wouldn't buy something like that off Ebay. Chances are it's probably stolen or fake.