Buying iPhone 5 in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sasb, Oct 9, 2012.

1. sasb, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

sasb macrumors newbie

I can't believe Apple authorized reseller selling iPhone 5 32GB at $8xxx. The official listed price supposed to be $6388 in Hong Kong.
    The special "lottery" (online reservation system) in Hong Kong Apple official site is so dumb. Everybody gotta submit again everyday. Few of them got the trick. They could buy iPhone 5 again and again within single week. Obviously, it became special channel for selling to PRC. It's unfair to real Apple user. What's the point of not opening pre-order for iPhone 5?

There is no way to complain. Hong Kong Genius bar refused to help me as well. They could not even tell any way to report. What a shame... :mad:

2. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Just curious but what do you mean a few of them got the trick?

3. sasb thread starter macrumors newbie

They got trick to submit many times everyday. I saw the same guy bought iPhone 5 three times in Hong Kong Apple store within 6 days. Then he sold them just outside Apple store.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So why cant u or dont do the same trick? Try the lottery system I'm sure u eventually will win it.

5. blazeken996 macrumors member

All you can do is wait for the prices to go down. There's a really high demand over here in China. The iPhone 5 prices on Taobao is about 6K-10K RMB, wait for Apple to release iPhone 5 in China, then prices will drop.

6. ching9968 macrumors newbie

I got iPhone 5 reservation few days ago. But Hong Kong Apple store staff refused to sell it without telco service plan. I am definitely sure I did not select including service plan option. The manager refused to check system record for me.

Why I couldn't buy it without service plan in Apple store??? It's ridiculous...

I don't think there's chance to buy it without contract until pre-order is available. Don't waste your time :(

7. sasb thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope Apple will open pre-ordering soon. I don't mind to pre-paid and wait......
    At least, it's fair to everybody.

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Were you in the IFC or Festival Walk store? And (excuse my asking), are you a a Hong Kong resident?

9. ching9968 macrumors newbie

IFC. Yes, I am Hong Kong resident. Does it make any different? :confused:

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I don't know if it does or not. That's why I asked. Maybe if you had a PRC ID, they wouldn't have forced you to buy through a service contract. Just guessing here.

11. michael360 macrumors newbie

Same here been waiting for apple online hk to open, and have been reserving at the stupid lottery system no luck there have been trying everyday from the day it released. Why dont apple just allow pre order 1 per ID Card in HK so the real user can buy it..

12. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

What is a service plan? Most iPhones in Hong Kong sell without SIM lock. You don't need to sign up anything. If you want a plan you don't go to Apple, you go to '3' or whatever.

I friend of mind did the 'lottery'. He got 2 iPhone 5 at $5588 and sold them right away outside the shop for about $8000

If Fortress, Broadway etc. have them they usually add some crap, like an ugly poach for $2500

What I don't get, why does Apple sells them in HK - and doesn't sell them? If delivery takes 16 weeks, then so be it.

13. ching9968 macrumors newbie

I thought Apple store is neutral. But it seems it's not.

14. ching9968 macrumors newbie

The Apple store staff said I must subscribe mobile service plan offered by them (3, 1010, One2Free etc.). Since I got family mobile plan, I don't need a new plan. That's why I made reservation in Apple.com and selected without service plan option. I don't know what's wrong with my Apple reservation.
    Apple authorized resellers are selling in unreasonable high price. I hope Apple will do something for it.

15. MrUnicorn macrumors newbie

How far ahead did you request a reservation before you got the email?
    Also, how long between getting the email and going to the store was it?

Thanks for your help, I live in shanghai, but am going to hong kong for a weekend and want to buy an iphone 5.

16. JTae macrumors newbie

Hi. Just want to check whether now HK is it available to sell the iphone5 to foreigner? Because i'm from Malaysia and hope to get the new iphone5 from HK

17. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Please tell me it's $8000 HK dollars and NOT USD?

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope! Your only way to buy in Hk would be the grey markets! Iphone 5 and ipad mini have the lottery system just for HK residents with HK ID numbers.

19. JTae macrumors newbie

is there any chances that I ask my HK friend's help me to buy it?

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Ask your friend maybe?! As long your friendis willing to buy it for you I'm sure it will be fine, but I heard the lottery system is hard to get a ticket!

21. JTae macrumors newbie

i heard that broadway also selling iphone5 right?

22. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Grey market! Or the apple store in broadway? Any apple store in HK and china do not sell iphones and ipad mini for walk in customers!

23. jumperdono macrumors newbie

24. JTae macrumors newbie

Grey market price will be expensive than HKD 5588 right?

25. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

of course! They have to make some profits for having them! I think profit is at least $200 extra from retail! So it costs around $750 tax included in HK it will be maybe around $950-$1000

----------

yeap if he is a very good friend I'm sure he will buy 1 for him if he ever get a hold of a lottery ticket!