Buying iPhone 5 just to sell it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daonesteven, Jan 3, 2013.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

So we have an extra line on our family plan for my mom who refuses to pay extra to use a smartphone, so I was thinking whether it was possible to use her line to purchase an iPhone 5 for $199, then using it to sell on craigslist? I'm just not sure how the plan itself works. Is she held to paying for a data plan for 2 years if she chooses to revert back to her "dumbphone" after we sell the iPhone 5?

2. johnmarry12 macrumors newbie

The only place they are selling no contract unlocked iphone 5 right now is ... u can buy it from anywhere but it will just be locked.

3. Horse9118 macrumors newbie

Or you can pay $2 on eBay to unlock it or buy a Verizon iPhone

4. daonesteven thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the replies but I'm bumping because I'm not sure I understand the replies and I think my OP was misunderstood.

5. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I think I understand the question. The only thing I can think is relevant is that if a contract is ended before it's time is up, then you have to pay an early termination fee. But, because you're not ending the contract (just choosing not to use the phone), I guess that doesn't apply?

Also, what carrier do you have? As Horse9118 said, Verizon's iPhone 5s are unlocked and that makes them easier to sell.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can get one and then sell it.
    It should bring around $600 or more easy on ebay.
    All you have to do is call them and tell them to remove the iphone data plan since you're still using the old dumbphone. They will do it, you just gotta give them the esn/imei number of the phone you're using and you're good.
    You're just extending your contract for another 2 years so remember that. The ETF is $325-350 now.