Buying iPhone 5s help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by charlienhill, Jan 4, 2014.

1. charlienhill macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new to the forum and new to Apple. I just bought my wife a MacBook Pro and we are making the transition to the light / dark side... however you see it.

I successfully got out of my Verizon contract after a recent military move, and need to move to AT&T because they are the only ones who offer decent service in my area.

However, I'm getting confused on what option I should go with. Bottom line up front: I'd like the cheapest option to get an AT&T plan with two iPhone 5s's and still have the option to upgrade to the iPhone 6 in one year.

My math:

AT&T Next
    Upfront - 123.5
    Monthly - 205 (prior to military discount)
    1 year cost - 2583.5
    (I understand that I would still owe approx $520 if I decided not to continue Next, and if I did continue Next, that I would essentially kick this $520 can down the road)

AT&T Regular plan with early upgrade
    Upfront - 472 (includes activation)
    Monthly - 170 (prior to military discount)
    Early upgrade out of pocket at 1 year mark - ~400 (450 x2 - 250? x2 resale)
    1 year cost - 2912
    (this option is based on the assumption that early upgrade will be available)

AT&T Regular plan with early termination
    Early term at 1 year mark - ~382 (205 x2 - 250? x2 resale + 472 to start new 2 year contract)
    1 year cost - 2894

AT&T Regular plan with iPhone 6 straight-out buy
    iPhone 6 out of pocket at 1 year mark - ~800 (650 x2 - 250? x2 resale)
    1 year cost - 3312

Please check my math and offer recommendations, I appreciate your time.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

If you go with Next or buy your 5s's off contract you also get $15 off your bill per line. Not sure if you factored that in or not.

Right now I'm doing Next for the $15 off the bill and will be paying off my phone I just got at Xmas time at the end of this month.

3. charlienhill thread starter macrumors newbie

4. blarivee macrumors 6502

The regular plan with early upgrade is missing the upgrade fee ($36 x 2).

With Next, you have the $520 that needs to be factored in your calculations. Remember that Next has saving only if you upgrade every year. When you wait to upgrade after 2 years, it is a very bad deal. Which means at some point you will return back to the two year cycle. So you would want to factor the $520 into your calculations assuming you return back to 2 year upgrade cycle after 1-year.