Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
If I have Verizon can I buy a T-Mobile contract free iPhone 6 and get a sim card from Verizon and activate it and all functions work? Semms all the Verizon phones are never in stock near me. The reason I ask is because some threads say Verizon won't activate a non Verizon phone, and I don't have a nano sim card active. Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you buy it from apple, it will be unlocked. If you buy it from T-Mo, I believe it will be locked.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
If you buy it from apple, it will be unlocked. If you buy it from T-Mo, I believe it will be locked.

I know it will be unlocked but will Verizon activate it as I would need to get a sin card?

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
buying iPhone 6 full retail question

You can't use an unlocked T Mobile device on Verizon because they are a CDMA network and all T Mobile devices are GSM.

The Verizon version of the iPhone 6 has dual network ability with both CDMA and GSM, that's why they will work on T Mobile and AT&T.

Bottom line is if your on the Verizon network, your going to have to buy a Verizon iPhone 6.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
It comes with a T-Mobile sim card that will activate the phone and it will be unlocked. I know because I bought the T-Mo version iPhone 6, got it out the box, turned it on with that sim in, activated then I put my AT&T sim in it and it worked.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can't use an unlocked T Mobile device on Verizon because they are a CDMA network and all T Mobile devices are GSM.

The Verizon version of the iPhone 6 has dual network ability with both CDMA and GSM, that's why they will work on T Mobile and AT&T.

Bottom line is if your on the Verizon network, your going to have to buy a Verizon iPhone 6.

Actually I believe apple now uses a universal chip so you get GSM and CDMA,. plus everyone is on LTE which is a different animal. GSM/CDMA are for 3G and older transmission speeds.

I know a number of people who purchased VZW (CDMA) phones and use them on ATT (GSM)

----------

I know it will be unlocked but will Verizon activate it as I would need to get a sin card?

You need a VZW Sim

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
The question will verizon give me a sim and will i be able to activate it? Will all features work and will it show up on my verizon ect.?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The question will verizon give me a sim and will i be able to activate it? Will all features work and will it show up on my verizon ect.?

No Verizon will not give you a sim and activate it because it's not on their system.

However, if you already have an active sim from Verizon, then yes it will work on t-mobile/AT&T.

----------

Actually, Verizon network will work on any unlocked AT&T/T-mobile device. I've done it and it works. You have to have an active sim card. I happen to have a verizon ipad mini Retina with an active sim. I've inserted it on my att 6 plus and can confirm that it does work.

It is just that Verizon will not activate the new sim card since it's not registered to their network.

Just an FYI T-mo/ATT/Verizon 6/6 Plus (except Sprint) has the same A1549/A1522 model number.

foster26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Ok thats kinda what i thought, but wanted confirmation. I guess i have to wait for apple ro release a full unlocked phone so i can get it. As i dont have a sim card with my current phone.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Ok thats kinda what i thought, but wanted confirmation. I guess i have to wait for apple ro release a full unlocked phone so i can get it. As i dont have a sim card with my current phone.

Verizon won't activate that one either. You would still need to already have a Verizon SIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.