buying iPhone 6 full retail question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foster26, Nov 2, 2014.

1. foster26 macrumors member

If I have Verizon can I buy a T-Mobile contract free iPhone 6 and get a sim card from Verizon and activate it and all functions work? Semms all the Verizon phones are never in stock near me. The reason I ask is because some threads say Verizon won't activate a non Verizon phone, and I don't have a nano sim card active. Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you buy it from apple, it will be unlocked. If you buy it from T-Mo, I believe it will be locked.

3. foster26 thread starter macrumors member

I know it will be unlocked but will Verizon activate it as I would need to get a sin card?

4. bakron1 macrumors member

buying iPhone 6 full retail question

You can't use an unlocked T Mobile device on Verizon because they are a CDMA network and all T Mobile devices are GSM.

The Verizon version of the iPhone 6 has dual network ability with both CDMA and GSM, that's why they will work on T Mobile and AT&T.

Bottom line is if your on the Verizon network, your going to have to buy a Verizon iPhone 6.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

It comes with a T-Mobile sim card that will activate the phone and it will be unlocked. I know because I bought the T-Mo version iPhone 6, got it out the box, turned it on with that sim in, activated then I put my AT&T sim in it and it worked.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually I believe apple now uses a universal chip so you get GSM and CDMA,. plus everyone is on LTE which is a different animal. GSM/CDMA are for 3G and older transmission speeds.

I know a number of people who purchased VZW (CDMA) phones and use them on ATT (GSM)

----------

You need a VZW Sim

7. foster26 thread starter macrumors member

The question will verizon give me a sim and will i be able to activate it? Will all features work and will it show up on my verizon ect.?

8. 617aircav Suspended

9. foster26 thread starter macrumors member

Theres not in stock and the tmobile version i can have shipped.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No Verizon will not give you a sim and activate it because it's not on their system.

However, if you already have an active sim from Verizon, then yes it will work on t-mobile/AT&T.

----------

Actually, Verizon network will work on any unlocked AT&T/T-mobile device. I've done it and it works. You have to have an active sim card. I happen to have a verizon ipad mini Retina with an active sim. I've inserted it on my att 6 plus and can confirm that it does work.

It is just that Verizon will not activate the new sim card since it's not registered to their network.

Just an FYI T-mo/ATT/Verizon 6/6 Plus (except Sprint) has the same A1549/A1522 model number.

11. foster26 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thats kinda what i thought, but wanted confirmation. I guess i have to wait for apple ro release a full unlocked phone so i can get it. As i dont have a sim card with my current phone.

12. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Verizon won't activate that one either. You would still need to already have a Verizon SIM.

13. foster26 thread starter macrumors member

Oh that blows, any ideas on how to get one as i have the iphone 4.