Buying iPhone 6S outright.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gabo864, Aug 16, 2015.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I won't have an upgrade until later this year, but I want to go ahead and buy the phone outright. Does Apple allow you to pre-order the new iphones if you're buying outright or it has to be on a contract?

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'm not sure if you can buy the phone outright when pre-ordering except the T-Mobile model. The T-Mobile model is the only phone able to be bought at full price AFAIK. If you camp out at the Apple Store, you can buy any phone outright, no matter the carrier.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We won't know details yet until its officially announced.
    But most likely the t mobile full priced model will be unlocked and could be used anywhere besides Sprint.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I think you can with the T-Mobile models but not sure about other carriers. AFAIK it has to be on a contract for Verizon, AT&T and Sprint but I'm sure that will change. Being that Verizon got rid of the 2 year contract.

5. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Does the T-mobile version works on Verizon? I was also thinking about maybe purchasing the phone on the Verizon Device Payment Plan and then after a couple days just call Verizon and tell them I want to cancel service and just pay off the phone. Do you think that would work?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Currently the unlocked tmobile iphone 6 works on verizon and AT&T.
    If you start service and then cancel it prorated charges and other fee's will be added for usage.
    If you just want the phone I wouldnt go through jumping all these hoops with opening up a new account with verizon and then cancelling.

7. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Oh Awesome. I didn't know I could use the T-mobile iphone on Verizon. I'll probably do that instead. Thanks.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should similarly be able to buy it outright from Verizon or for Verizon as well.

11. Mikeyfabs macrumors member

i bought my 6plus outright on launch day via apple.com

12. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Yes they will, you can continue with your current plan and getting subsidized devices. Verizon is just going to be strongly recommending that customers change. Since most customers are clueless, it's likely most will make the switch.

13. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Did you buy the T-mobile version or Verizon?

14. Broadus macrumors 6502a

That's my idea for the 6S this year.

15. Mikeyfabs macrumors member

Verizon

16. Mikeyfabs macrumors member

I have an upgrade in October, so I'm not sure what to do. Do I go with edge or buy outright again and save the upgrade for the 7.

17. SR71 macrumors 68000

To answer your question about the Verizon payment plan: yes, that would work. To answer your question about whether or not the T-Mobile version will work on Verizon: it will, but since it's not white-listed on Verizon's network you can't just activate it on their network unless you have a pre-activated Verizon SIM card. Also, the T-Mobile model doesn't get the $25 line discount that Verizon phone's get on their Edge payment plans.

Lastly, to answer your question from your first post: Yes, you can pay outright when you pre-order an iPhone. I did this last year with AT&T, but I needed the Verizon model and so when I went to pick it up at my local Apple Store I asked if they could just swap it for a Verizon model and they did with no problems.

18. SR71 macrumors 68000

Does Verizon offer an Edge plan where you can upgrade every 12 months? That might be your cheapest option. In fact that's what I'm doing with AT&T this year as opposed to my usual upgrade by paying outright every year or so.

19. Mikeyfabs macrumors member

If I recall I think with the edge program you can upgrade whenever you want as long as you paid at least half of the price of the phone. Now I don't know of that's half of full retail or half or the subsidized price.

20. SR71 macrumors 68000

Just checked on Verizon's website and it say you have to have paid off 75% of the device (based off full retail price) before you can do an early upgrade, so the same as AT&T's Next 12 plan (upgrade every 12 months).

21. gabo864 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gabo864

What if I don't have an upgrade though? Can I still pre-order it and pay full retail price online?

22. chrfr macrumors 603

I wouldn't assume that the new phones will be sold the same way as the current ones. The cellular market is very different than it was even a year ago, since no provider is selling new contracts or subsidized phones anymore. Consequently, nobody knows what the situation with the next iPhone will be.
    It's also an ideal time for Apple to sell only one model of iPhone.

23. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yup, that should work perfectly fine. To test it out go simulate an order with the current iPhone 6 (obviously don't check out, though). That's what I did to prepare for last years pre-orders and it was the exact same steps as placing a regular order.

24. jashworth03 macrumors member

I just tried to order via Apple.com for ATT. It re-directed me to ATT and then had me log into my ATT account. In the ATT account, it would only let me select ATT next. No other option available.

I just want to purchase outright. Don't want to deal with next or upgrades.