Buying iPhone 7 Directly Through Carrier & Adding AppleCare+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sn0warmy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

As time has progressed, I've grown quite tired of Android and I'm ready to have a phone that works more seamlessly with my mac. So I'm finally ready to make the switch from Android to iPhone.

With that said, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to make the switch. I know I can buy the phone directly from Apple with their new upgrade program (which includes AppleCare+). However, I have "Jump On Demand" with T-Mobile and I love using that program to make a switch whenever I feel the desire, rather than having to wait a full year. This might come in handy if I find that the iPhone isn't working for me, long term, or if the refreshed "iPhone 8" ends up getting released this year.

With that said, I typically go full case/screen protectors on my Android phones for protection. But with AppleCare+, I wouldn't feel the need for bulky protection since repairs with that plan are so cheap. Which leads me to my question:

Is it possible to buy the iPhone directly from T-Mobile and then add AppleCare+ to the phone from Apple? For instance, could I walk into T-Mobile and buy the phone, then walk across the street to the Apple Store and add AppleCare+ to it? Or do I have to buy the phone directly from Apple to get AppleCare+?

I know T-Mobile will fight me on adding AppleCare+ directly through them since they try relentlessly to sell me the garbage Assurion Insurance, instead.

Thanks for the input.

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

yes

you can add ac + within 60 days no matter where you buy it from

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about T-Mobile but I know other vendors sell AppleCare+ - Best Buy does.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

I thought Jump! included insurance its 12$ for iPhones not sure what it was for your other phone.

5. jetsam macrumors 6502

Right - you don't even need to go into an Apple Store (though you can, if it really is right across the street). You can buy it with a phone call, or directly online.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

6. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll have to take another look, but I always opt out of the insurance when getting a new phone. In looking at my bill, I'm not seeing any past charges above and beyond the cost of the phone itself. Granted, I haven't actually used that program in about a year since I bought my Google Pixel outright. I'll have to ask them when I go into the store today or tomorrow.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

One of the differences between normal Jump and JOD is that Jump automatically adds insurance. You can remove it (I did) but doing that removes Jump.

JOD does not require insurance. You can get it if you like, but with the exception of slamming to make quotas, it's not something a rep is required to add. Probably why you haven't seen any charges for it.

8. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

That makes sense since I haven't had any charges for insurance on top of the phones I get. My plan will be to pickup the iPhone 7 on JOD tomorrow, ensure they don't add insurance, and then add AppleCare+ to it via Apple's website. It looks like this should workout as planned.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I bought my iPhone 7 Plus through Verizon and then purchased AppleCare over the phone. Had no problems.

10. zone23 macrumors 68000

I just have regular Jump! one thing to consider is Applecare+ is only for damage if your phone is lost or stollen your out a phone. I currently have both AppleCare+ and Jump! so all my bases are covered. If I break the screen take it to the Apple store if I loose it then insurance.