Buying iPhone at Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozzyman500, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I'm currently with AT&T, the reason I ask this is because my girlfriend got a phone at Best Buy and didn't have to bother going into the store at all. Do they have agents there at will switch account eligibility? Reason I'm asking is because I'm not eligible to ugprade yet but another line on my account is and I'm wondering if Best Buy could do the switch for me so I could get a warranty under them. Is this possible?

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

3. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

That would be awesome! I heard AT&T are a pain to deal with about this issue.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I have done this at both a Best Buy and an AT&T store. No problem with either.

I have a family talk plan. My GF's plan had an upgrade, but my phone did not. Mine isnt eligible until August. Hers started in February. I used her upgrade, on my account, at a Best Buy, and walked out in an hour.

They had to find the phones and they put on a Zagg (big mistake). It was launch day so they had to find the shipment.

5. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good news indeed. Thank you. I've heard all over that you should definitely get a third party warranty other than Apple.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Eh, thats debateable. The Best Buy one (insurance) costs 12$ a month or something like that. Thats 288$ over your contract term. Apple Care is one flat $69.99, however BB covers accidental damage. It seems worth it for people who think they may drop it.

7. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

It just sucks because Apple will void your warrant even if your water sensor is tripped and if you just pay a little extra BB will fix anything.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

That varies greatly on what you constitute as "a little extra." I dont have either of the warranties. I'll worry about it when im 364 days into my contract and I have to decide if 70 bucks is worth another year or if Im getting the newer iPhone of 2010.

This conversation has become some-what of a PM worthy conversation. If you need to ask any more questions or further continue this conversation, PM me. Your original question has been answered, and I suggest to anyone reading this that they do research on the above mentioned plans for warranties, including square trade and other options.

9. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816