Buying iPhone for 200 bucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OscarAlert, Mar 13, 2009.

1. OscarAlert macrumors newbie

it sounds liget... the guy sells alot of other stuff like playstation 3 s for 300 bucks ha
    talked to him on the phone and everything sounded alright, were doin a money transfer through western union so he only gets the money once i get the phone.
    kinda like a middle man.

What do u guys think ??? 200 bucks tho ?? :s

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

SCAM

3. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

hahah have fun with your empty box and paper weight. anyone who has to use W.U is shady.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wester union is like cash. Despite what the scammer says, the scammer will get the money and NOT send you anything.

http://www.westernunion.com/WUCOMWE...ageCode=en&pagename=fraudIndex&pid=fraud00016

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I'd say scam too, but if the guy will send the phone first before getting money, and assuming its a 16 gig(because otherwise this isn't really worth your time), why not give it a shot?

If he won't send the phone first then, most definitely scam

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

you obviously have not looked online at prices lately, $200 for an 8GB is even a good deal on places like eBay/Craiglist..

To the OP, be careful and do NOT use any links he sends you, if you use WU make sure you are at their website and not a counterfeit one that he set up..
    (I had someone try this with me, but created a fake paypal site, it looked exactly the same, but the URL was wayyy different)

7. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

western union = scam

have him go through paypal

9. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

10. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

11. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I recently did a sale through craigslist. The guy was in Toronto, worked for the TTC (subway/streetcar) and he said he worked at a particular station. When I asked him questions about the station, he could not answer them.

Then he suggested paypal for our transaction. It was a PS3 game for $35. I was really worried I was going to get scammed because he was very aggressive: "use paypal", "is it shipped?", "auto-complaint is filed in 7 days, hurry".

It seemed like a bad scene but then the other day he sent me an e-mail saying he received the package. Man, did I wipe my brow.

I've never used Western Union but have heard to steer clear of that one. But do your research and be careful.

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

uhhhhhh... the iPhone is $199 at the store..

am i missing something here?:confused:

13. airdonut41 macrumors newbie

Only for a new plan/upgrade

14. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

good point, For whatever reason i was thinking about the prices of new phones instead of used...

15. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

ok so he has another carrier (t-mobile or something) and wants to buy an iPhone 3G and unlock it to use on a non-at&t signal?

if that's the case, then i wouldnt go that way b/c from what i've heard, it's not very stable.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Even if it's not a scam in the sense that the seller sends you legitimate goods, they're still probably stolen. Someone who makes an industry for themselves selling electronics with W/U payments just is highly unlikely to be a legitimate businessperson.