Buying iphone from another Country

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Oct 6, 2008.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    I guess I can buy an iphone from the Indian grey market which they are claiming to be unlocked for about $600 or a little more. My question is I wil lneed to use it in US. Will I be able to use att or t mobile prepaid plans with the iphone.

I just don't want to get into contrcat with att and I won't be using 3g. So is this the best way to get an iphone 3g.

What other ways have people been able to get th iphone and yet not have to get into a 2 year contrcat with att. I will be using it exclusivey as a second phone and use as a go phone.

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

T-Mobile will not raise any objection to allowing you to use an unlocked iPhone on their network on any prepaid or postpaid plan you happen to have signed up for. Keep in mind that it will *not* work on T-Mobile's 3G network because T-Mobile uses a different frequency for its 3G service.

AT&T doesn't sell any iPhones domestically for use on a prepaid basis, so I don't think they have any precedent for officially allowing or disallowing it. That being said, apparently it works, for the time being at least:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/13/confirmed-3g-iphone-works-out-of-the-box-with-payg/

If you had bought the phone from AT&T (or from an Apple store acting as a sales agent for AT&T), you would have received a subsidy, and in exchange for the subsidy you are contractually expected to spend at least 2 years on their postpaid service. Since you didn't purchase the iPhone from AT&T or one of its agents, and no such subsidy was supplied, that wouldn't appear to apply.

AT&T's terms of service for postpaid customers says only that you must sign up for an eligible data plan if you are using an iPhone on their network. Their terms of service for prepaid customers (GoPhone, PickYourPlan, and PayAsYouGo) don't single out the iPhone for any different treatment than any other phone, one way or the other.

AT&T's website claims that they will allow you to connect any customer-supplied (non-AT&T) GSM phone onto their network, as long as it uses at least one of the compatible frequencies and any previous SIM lock has been removed.
    http://choice.att.com/flash/customersdevices.aspx

3. pyebin macrumors newbie

Buying an IPHONE in the US and unlocking it for Russia

HI Experts,
    I am looking to buy a new 3G Iphone when I got back home in the US and want to know how to activate it for my Russian Sim card. The Iphone is sold unlocked in Russia but expensive so I want to buy it in the states and activate it here in russia. Any idea's how to unlock it for here?

Any help would be great