Buying iPhone from Carphone Warehouse UK - locks onto first sim or not?

psychopomp2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Hi

I've ordered a couple of iPhone X's from CPW in UK for delivery on 3rd Nov...great! Except that after placing the order, when i spoke to their customer support over the phone they said the iPhone X can be used with any sim card but it would lock to the network of the first sim card used. However the staff at my local branch of CPW insist this is no longer the case (since July 2017), ie it is truly unlocked and is the same as buying it from Apple directly. They've even said i can try 2 different network sims instore on the day i come to collect the phones.

Can someone who's bought any model of sim free iphone from CPW in the last few months confirm that CPW no longer lock iphones to the network of the first sim?

Cheers

Masterman

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2016
United Kingdom
I'd also like to know this, ordered from CPW around 8:15 and received their 2nd email around 12:01, interested to see other peoples timings/thoughts whether they will deliver 3rd nov as is 'expected'

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Yes they will. General rules are:

Sim free phones sold by Apple remain unlocked.

Sim free phones which are sold by third parties lock to the first SIM card. Networks generally won’t unlock these, as they didn’t actually lock it themselves.

Locked phones sold by carriers which are then unlocked remain unlocked.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
All sim free phones from CPW are unlocked

I bought my 7 plus from them and I can tell you it is unlocked

Caris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
I read on their Twitter they changed this a few month ago and now they don’t lock to the first sim.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I read on their Twitter they changed this a few month ago and now they don’t lock to the first sim.
Ah that's good to know!

The problem was they didn't have inventory for locked/unlocked - it was all the same, so they went with all locked.