Buying iPhone from Ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kygordo, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Kygordo macrumors newbie

im looking at buying an iPhone 6plus on eBay. I already have a SIM card from my iPhone 5C with Verizon. I see there are different carriers on eBay. Since I already have a Verizon SIM card can I just take that out of the 5c and put it in the 6 I'm buying? Also could I buy a iPhone 6 Plus for sprint and put my Verizon sim in it? Just kind of confused how this all works. Thanks for the help!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If the phone is unlocked then yes.

Whether the phone has the radio bands to be used on your carrier is a different matter.

If you don't know what unlocking is (and the way you phrase your question suggests to me that you do not) it is a method that carriers use to prevent the use of phones on a different network.

But in general, if a phone is paid off, the carrier will unlock it. The gamble on eBay is knowing if it's unlocked or not.

3. Netranger macrumors newbie

Netranger

Just be extra careful,if you are going to be scammed,it will most likely be with a iphone.

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

The best answer to buying used phones on eBay is... don't. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer or the carrier is.

5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

1. Get the serial
    2. Get the IMEI
    3. Run the serial past iCloud.com to tell you if the phone is Activation Locked, and run the IMEI past the purported carrier themselves.
    If the seller is unwilling to provide either of those, they are not worth buying from. If those check out, all you have to worry about is accidental damage / third party modifications! :)

6. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

You would have to buy either the Verizon or Unlocked. if you purchased the Sprint iPhone you would have to bring that iPhone to either Apple Store or Verizon Wireless.

7. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

I would never buy a used phone, you know the other person used it in the washroom.

8. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Have you tried swappa? I've had positive experiences buying from there.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with Swappa myself. They do a bit more verifications that ebay doesn't. It definitely provides more of a peace of mind experience.

I just bought two iPhone 5s phones for my daughters. I'm waiting for the delivery of them, but my past experience of buying and selling has been great with swappa.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Your old and new phone use the nano-SIM card so that will be fine. BUT, I strongly suggest you do not buy your iPhone from eBay.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Look if the phone is not as described you have at least 45 days to return for a full refund.

12. Kygordo thread starter macrumors newbie

13. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I wouldn't personally use ebay to buy a phone

14. 617aircav Suspended

I've sold hundreds of phone on eBay without issue. eBay gives you 45 days to return anything you buy.

15. vcof2005 macrumors member

Add me to the list of people that recommends swappa over eBay.

16. Slammed01 macrumors member

Some eBay auctions qualify for squaretrade warranty

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you're confused by that, you shouldn't be buying on eBay. As mentioned above, Swappa would be a safer bet for you.

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Has anyone here bought a brand new iOS device from ebay? Are the new iPhones/iPads sold on ebay eligible for AppleCare+?

19. 617aircav Suspended

How much is the eBay deal? Best buy has them with $200 off on contract for Verizon. Buy and cancel after 14 days and a 6s 64gb will cost you under $600.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Just $50 off MSRP but sales tax saved is 10% on the full retail price (CA). I plan on getting the largest capacity model.

21. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Swappa is great, but you can find reliable sellers on ebay. Check their history. If they are very new I would stay away but if they have a good history of positive reviews you have a good chance of being okay.

22. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I like using iphoneox.com it's a great way to check everything.