Buying iPhone.. if I don't activate will I have to pay data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Aug 13, 2010.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

My mom has already fulfilled her two year contract, but she is happy with her phone.

I'm trying to purchase the phone at the discounted price and then sell it to a friend so he doesn't have to pay the non-contract price for the phone. Question is, if I buy the phone for my mom's line, will at&t charge a monthly data plan fee even though the phone will not be used?

2. Viscidity macrumors newbie

Well, if you buy an iphone 4 under a contract, activation is mandatory during the purchase.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

This.

If you buy an iphone at the discounted rate, you won't be able to leave the store without agreeing to the terms of service. Two years, EFT, I think now is $350 or $375. The iPhone require some sort of data plan, no choice.

If you want a iPhone off contract your best bet is craigslist, eBay etc... Your not going to buy a phone for 200 and magically sell it for 600, ATT for all their issues is nit stupid. You pay one way or another.

While your not trying to profit, your still trying to outsmart the system... And well sorry your simply not going to. No one is.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes and No. First you will have to pay for the iPhone data plan as long as the iPhone is active on your mother's line.

So, if you activate it on her line in the store, the iPhone data plan will be added to her line. Once the iPhone is activated, you have a couple of options. If your in the store just tell the rep that your mom is going to keep her exisiting phone and the rep will activate a new SIM for your mom's current phone and then make sure the rep removes the iPhone data plan from her line. If you order by mail, you just need to call AT&T Customer Care and provide the Care rep with the IMEI of your mom's existing phone and the iPhone data plan can be removed without any trouble.

The iPhone data plan or any Smartphone data plan is only required if you have an iPhone or Smartphone active on the line.

Just a reminder the new iPhone 4 uses a Micro-SIM and it is not compatible with older phones the use the more common Mini-SIM. So you will need to get your mom a new SIM in most cases. Also, your mom will have a new two-year service commitment with AT&T and she will also be subject to the new $325 ETF fee, please tell her this important information.

Dave