buying iphone in the usa

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ollyclio, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ollyclio macrumors member

long shot, and i think the answer will prob be no, but im heading to the usa later this year and wondered if i can get a iphone from apple and bring it back to use here?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It will most likely work. The problem is you have to sign an AT&T contract, which means the saving of money is out the window. Where is here?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First... Where is here? You should have your location added to your profile so people don't have to ask.

Second... Kind of. However you will have to get a contract with at&t then break it after 31 days, then unlocking it.

Third... You would be better off getting a legitimate unlocked phone from Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, or France.

TEG

4. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

im in the uk

is there any other places to get them out there, cheaper than the uk?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just hop over to France, the sell them unlocked, then you can use them with any UK carrier.

TEG

6. ollyclio thread starter macrumors member

ah cool, though as the euro is terrible at the mo i thought it might be the same as buying a pay as you go iphone from the uk.
    i thought there might be some where in the us i could pick one up cheap unlocked, but will look into what you said, thanks :)

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

The iPhone can physically work anywhere but the US software is locked to AT&T and it requires a 2 year contract. You cannot just buy it outright, like you can in Europe or Australia or most places around the world.

So no definitely a no go.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can buy it outright but for the price that you'll be paying you're better off buying it factory unlocked for a country closer to the the UK.