Buying iphone off Craigslist

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by smithpaul80, May 14, 2011.

1. smithpaul80, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

smithpaul80 macrumors newbie

Want to buy a few days old iphone off Craigslist. The guy says he does not like iOS and prefers Android. He says he has the receipt, box, and all original accessories.

Is it possible that after I buy the phone, that guy would possibly report it as stolen or not paying his bill and then I would be stuck with bad ESN or IMEI iphone?

Thanks!

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Meet at the store of your carrier (ATT/vzw) and activate it on your account before paying. Then you are sure it will work. Once its on your account it won't matter if he pays his bill or not.

3. smithpaul80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am with T-Mobile.

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

5. smithpaul80 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you mean if I like it I can go ahead and buy it with no worries?

6. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I just bough one off craigslist. Just make sure you buy one with a reasonable asking price (I paid $300 for a 32GB 3GS). Anything less than that an in a shady location (North Philly) is probably stolen.

7. smithpaul80 thread starter macrumors newbie

He's asking $450 and it's iphone 4 16GB.

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Seems legit enough. Speaking from going through this yesterday, the thought of the seller reporting it stolen never crossed my mind. In fact, he was even willing to transfer he AppleCare to me. I think you'll be alright; $450 isn't a red flag price.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

umm if you t-mobile you might want to make sure you can unlock it also. unless you plan on using the grevey sim make sure it has baseband 1.59.00 and be very carefull you don't update the baseband unless you want a expensive Touch. ;) also remember you will use Edge on Tmobile not the faster 3G.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

If its an AT&T iphone, they will not unlock that phone and you will not be able to use it on tmobile

11. smithpaul80 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to use Gevey sim to unlock the iphone if purchased. I first want to be on the safe side before I purchase the iphone.

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

?? Gevey works on 4.10 baseband

13. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

There's a possibility he will hit you over the head and take your money as well, but I think both options are slim.

14. Annerz macrumors regular

I'm always wary of buying things off craigslist. You should probably go to a store so nothing like that will happen.

15. smithpaul80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does work on 4.10.01

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

17. 87am macrumors regular

If its only "a few days old" then he could return it for a full refubd instead of sellibg to youfor a loss.

18. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i bought a VIP4 for $475 off craigslist. had them meet me at the local verizon store to activate, and make sure he was on camera. all went great, seemed like a good guy, brought his GF. activated fine, and approx 7 days later they turned it off and requested the phone back, reported stolen. absolutely nothing i could do. i talked with verizon/craigslist reps, i guess this is a common scam...they just report it stolen after they sell it, and verizon replaces their iphone.

in the end, i sold the bad esn phone on craigslist that wanted to tear a VIP4 apart, i advert it bad esn as well. for $300. i don't suggest buying anything electronic off CL. by new from apple store!