buying iphone on existing line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colorless, Dec 26, 2007.

1. colorless macrumors newbie

so i currently do not have an acct with at&t. Can i get a free phone at at&t, sell it, then buy and activate an iphone on the now existing line?

are there any additional costs to do this than just buying an iphone and activating?

is it two activation fees? but still, as long as the free phone is more valuable than the activation fee, seems to make sense. almost too easy. i gotta be missing something here......

thanks.

2. colorless thread starter macrumors newbie

so people are reading the thread...but no replies...

i feel like i said something stupid enough no one feels the need to reply but not stupid enough for anyone to make fun of me....

c'mon folks, this is the internet. everyone has an opinion here.

thanks for reading. more thanks to you if you reply.:D

3. DuFFy macrumors regular

not 100 percent sure but I think you can do what you are saying. There would only be an activation fee for the first phone cuz I had AT&T when I upgraded to an iPhone and was told there would be no fee. All you would have to do is add the data plan. Hope that helps!

4. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

I dont understand why you want a free phone to start the account. Any free phone you get from AT&T will not sell for much at all. When I had my iPhone added to my account I was charged an $18 upgrade fee. All I had to do to the account was add the $20 unlimited data plan. Either way you will have a contract so why not just start the contract with the iPhone and save the $18?

5. DuFFy macrumors regular

probaby because you can get a cheaper plan with any other phone for the same minutes and then just get the iphone later and add the data, say about 20 bucks a month, just a guess tho....

6. ronainsworth68 macrumors member

I didn't think about that... I'm sure your right.

7. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

The basic plan with the iPhone has a decent number of minutes with it. Perhaps there would be a cheaper plan, but you can always change your plan at anytime during your contract. I have adjusted my plan several times over the life of my contract. The free phones are worth what they cost, and with two activations at $18 a pop. I really do not see any advantage in establishing iPhone service in this manner. Just buy the darn thing and be happy! That is what I did.:)