Buying iphone soon, can I lock the mobile network usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kidwithshirt, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kidwithshirt macrumors member

hey. I am getting an iphone 2g soon (sorry 3g =\ no need for you)

I have a very basic att plan with no (none, nada, nil) extra features on there. I think I am getting an unlocked one, but if it's locked it should work right? I am getting one in the States so i heard if it's att sim card it should be compatible?

I was wondering if I could just use exclusively wifi for internet on the iPhone so the phone won't accidentally use mobile internet or something. My mother has a lg flip phone and she accidentally went on that medianet thing, didn't even do anything and got charge with some money.

Anyway that's my concern, otherwise the iPhone should work... like a phone.. right?

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

you still have to get it unlocked if it isnt because that means the phone will not be activated. But once it is unlocked you will have the same functionality that your old at&t phone had, including phone, text message. You may still have data, but when used on the iphone you will be using a lot, and then at&t will charge you for the data, unless you have a data plan.

3. guitarizt macrumors newbie

OP's asking how easy it is just to use hotspots to get on the internet instead of having to use a data plan through a company. I'm also curious about this as I don't want to be paranoid about accidentally getting on the web through verizon and getting charged instead of just using free wifi.

4. kidwithshirt thread starter macrumors member

yes you are right that's what I am asking. is there some kind of network option?

5. 12Iceman macrumors newbie

You can block data access by jailbreaking your iPhone and installing BossPrefs via Cydia (while still being able to use wifi).

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Definitely get Boss Prefs and disable EDGE.
    The phone loves to make random network requests and all it takes is for you to accidentally launch a data app and you will get charged.

7. kidwithshirt thread starter macrumors member

interesting. thanks. I will be getting an iphone from a guy that has had it for 6 month, I assume he has some older firmware so it's probably jailbreakable.

8. outz macrumors 6502

My friend uses a 2g unlocked on another provider. He also did not want to use ANY cell data. There is a section in settings/network where you can remove the GPRS/EDGE APN so it will not be able to connect to use the data network. This solved the problem for him.

9. kidwithshirt thread starter macrumors member

hi. I just did a brief research on this and turns out you can disable it under the network settings inside the iPhone. However, this is only applicable for phones on some network because the service provider can lock it

so does ATT let you change the network options?

I have a problem because I currently only have a really basic plan so i dont want to have any data usage at all! 1 cent per kb is scary!

i have a brief grasp on how to jailbreak an iphone (going to get a 1st gen), however looks like in order to get cydia -> bosspref to work I need to use the internet no matter what. So I dont know how I can get the file without being charged a lot of money.

If I am in a wifi, would iphone still try to use cellphone data?

Gaa I dont know how to do this.