Buying iPhone through apples online store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hatcher146, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i think the iPhone is going to be able to be sold through apples online site? right? if thats the case i was wondering how would you go about getting the phone activated? i use CDMA as of right now so i dont know what goes on with GSM? would they send a SIM card with the phone and you just pop it in? or would you have to go to a cingular store once it has been shipped to you? any thoughts?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

SIM card comes in the box. At least that's the way every phone I've ever bought has come.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i don't think you'll be able to buy direct from Apple. i think you'll have to go to Cingular, especially (or at least) if you're a new customer. for people who already have a SIM card, they might be able to just buy the iPhone and pop in the SIM card but for those without it, i don't think Apple is going to be signing you up for Cingular service - you'll have to go to Cingular to do that.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't they already say you could buy it from Apple? I bought a phone from Buy.com, they sent it to me, I called to get it turned on. Wasn't that hard. SIM was already inside.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, the iPhone will be sold through both Cingular and Apple. ...And I don't believe the iPhone will feature a removable SIM card.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I don't know. I think it's been stated in this particular section of MacRumors in a previous discussion, but Steve Jobs specifically referred to the designated "SIM card" area as "a place -- a little tray for your SIM card" in the keynote. Visually there's no obvious spot, but it could be a small slot at the top, being that SIM cards aren't all that large.

I agree with solvs' and Chundles' assessment, in that the SIM card will be included and a user will simply call Cingular to activate the product.

Attached Files:

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It wouldn't be any different than buying online from Cingular. Either Cingular jumps into the process and assigns a phone number, or if you have a Cingular phone you just pop your SIM in when it arrives. Not that hard.

IIRC, Cingular will sometimes send a new SIM to an upgrading customer. I know when I went from a plain flip to my treo they sent a new SIM already in the treo to be activated. I think if you have an older phone they want to make sure you are using an up to date SIM card.

8. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

This SIM card thing seems to be coming up a lot! I agree with most above that when you buy the iPhone (from Apple - online or not - or Cingular - online or not) the SIM will be in the device and you will just activate it over the phone.

This photo from the Keynote (which just keeps popping up), showing an arrow pointing at (apparently) nothing... everyone assumes that there should be a slot for the SIM... why? Why can't the back come off?

With my current phone and, actually, most phones I have had, you have to take the back off (i.e. a thin plastic cover) before you can get to the SIM card tray.

Have I missed something about the iPhone being totally encased, and the back being irremovable? :confused:

9. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

So if you can receive an iphone in the mail without signing a contract, does that mean I can buy one when they are released and see if someone figures out how to unlock it so I can use it with Tmobile? Sounds a little too easy, I dont think apple and especially Cingular would like that freedom. But who knows, apple will still get their money.

10. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

No one said that. When you buy an iPhone from Apple, you will also be signing a 2-year contract with Cingular. Which makes me think that there will be iPhone-specific plans....

11. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

AT&T's CEO said last week that they are planning on revamping all of Cingular's plans once the transition to AT&T is complete...this June. Coincidence? I think not. iPhone specific plans are almost guaranteed.

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It's most likely that what you're describing is the case, and it'd be somewhat fitting looking at the somewhat oddly looking back. The black handle bottom and then all metal just screams "slide up and off"; this'd be nice, too, because it'd give access to the battery. Seems reasonable. I think the reason that the iPhone is being assumed as having no means of opening is due to Apple's modern tradition with other consumer electronics, ala the iPod, iMac, Mac mini, and AppleTV and even in some instances their line of laptops.

They can all be opened, but aren't usually meant to be. It's traditional for a modern Apple product to have a seamless and enclosed design.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so if i already have Cingular, i can just buy this phone and put my sim card in? or do you have to still call cingular and "activate" the phone, sign a new contract, etc?

14. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Well, to buy it, if you want it at the fully-subsidised cost of $500 or $600, you'll have to sign a new two year contract. Or, you could pay full price for the phone :)eek: ) and continue with your contract.

But to activate the phone, you'd just have to pop in your SIM.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so if i bought it without a new contract, then how much would it cost?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, it'll come with it's own SIM inside. You call them to activate it, but they can switch your service, or add or upgrade to a new service, at the same time. Then the old phone can be deactivated if you want the new phone to get your old # and no longer plan on using it. Least that's what they did for me the last time I upgraded, and that's what the last rep I spoke with told me. I'm eligible for an upgrade right after it comes out, but she said something about having to pay "full price" if it didn't. They don't know yet if you have to sign a brand new contract, or can extend your old one, but I'm sure they have something they can do with existing customers who still have time left on their contracts.

No word yet on how they'll do it if you don't want a contract, or if you even have a choice.

17. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

It's $500 for the 4GB model and $600 for the 8 GB model with a two year contract.

The iPhone is more expensive on a one year contract and even moreso with no contract extension.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So the answer is, we don't know yet.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so if i'm not eligible for an upgrade, then i have to pay more than $600 for the 8GB one? or will i be able to get it at all?

i guess we don't know yet:(

20. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, we don't know.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's what I meant, yeah. Or if it's even going to be available without one. But I'm sure it will be. They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot with existing customers or those who want to switch. They're probably just going to make us pay more.

I can probably wait a little over a month though if the savings are big, but if you just signed up and it's a lot more, you might be pissed.

23. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

There were some rumors that the iPhone price wasn't subsidized at all, which would mean you'd pay the same when you start your contract as you would if you already had a contract.

But that's just rumors. We'll know in June.

I have a feeling that Apple would make it easy for people already with 2-year contracts to buy the iPhone.

24. cellprodude macrumors newbie

Some cellular accessory stores are selling them too

like Aftermarketcellular for one. They will be getting some in and are taking reservations to notify people when they come in. Apple Store and Cingular are not the only ones to get the phones from.

25. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm still believing the leak from that online survey. I think it's odd that the requested it to be removed from MR.