Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Alright so I live in Vancouver Canada, which is right near the border of Seattle. With the http://www.iphonesimfree.com/ news flying around, I am VERY excited to say the least. I have it in my head to buy the software, go to Seattle, buy an iphone, come home and use it on Rogers....

Other than the fact that the hack MIGHT not work, and data plans are outrageous, are their any other things I should know about?

Much appreciated...

PS, I don't have to sign for any contract or anything when I'm in the Apple Store there?

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
On my current RAZR I don't have a data plan obviously, and I don't want one on my iPhone. I am perfectly fine with just iPod, Phone and Wifi...

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
On my current RAZR I don't have a data plan obviously, and I don't want one on my iPhone. I am perfectly fine with just iPod, Phone and Wifi...
Your iphone will be crippled without 24/7 dataplan. You will be losing half of the "coolness" features most of the time. (unless your ALWAYS around wifi)

Just thought i would give you my opinion... when i lose data signal for just a few minutes my iphone seems very useless to me lol. Not worth the 500+ in my opinion without all the options.

But do what you want!

fenix61

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Canada
If you wanna just use it as an ipod and wifi device until rogers officially gets the plan, use iActivator.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I wouldnt say its not worth it without dataplan/edge.
I dont browse the net thru edge cause its kinda slow but Im lucky cause at work and home theres always wifi available.
I use way more wifi than I do edge so I dont think its useless without edge.
Its a kickass phone, and if you really gotta spend hundreds of dollars per month for data/internet usage then thats not worth it IMO.

Your iphone will be crippled without 24/7 dataplan. You will be losing half of the "coolness" features most of the time. (unless your ALWAYS around wifi)

Just thought i would give you my opinion... when i lose data signal for just a few minutes my iphone seems very useless to me lol. Not worth the 500+ in my opinion without all the options.

But do what you want!

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I'm actually planning on doing the exact same thing; I'm going to pick one up within the next few weeks and unlock it and use it as a phone. I don't need to check my email on the fly and I could care less about visual voicemail.

EDIT: Also, why go all the way to Seattle? I live in Mission, BC and you could just go to the AT&T Store in Bellingham I suppose.

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006

But do what you want!

I am not willing to pay for data plans that Rogers has, and I am usually near wifi so I should be fine.

If you wanna just use it as an ipod and wifi device until rogers officially gets the plan, use iActivator.

I want the phone too!

I'm actually planning on doing the exact same thing; I'm going to pick one up within the next few weeks and unlock it and use it as a phone. I don't need to check my email on the fly and I could care less about visual voicemail.

Nice, yeah me too.

EDIT: Also, why go all the way to Seattle? I live in Mission, BC and you could just go to the AT&T Store in Bellingham I suppose.

Really? I've heard with Apple stores you can walk right in and buy it, but from ATT stores you need to sign stuff etc??

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
good to hear that there are some fellow canadians in here that want to buy the iphone

im going to have mine in a few weeks, by then I hope they have the sim hacks up and running

I think I'll cancel my data plan from my blackberry pearl and only use the web on my iphone while im within the range of a wireless network

:)

Edit: One more thing. Should I buy the 2 year apple care for my phone?

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing tomorrow, even if it means paying to get out of my Telus contract.

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
I'm in LA now. Both apple store and AT&T say contract is needed to buy that phone. Can't go prepaid option with iPhone,....:confused:

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
You dont sign a contract when you buy the phone.
When you activate it for the first time thru Itunes and turn on the phone thru AT&T is when you sign the 2 year contract, pick a plan etc....
You skip all that if you hack it.
Just pay and walk out the store no questions asked.

I'm in LA now. Both apple store and AT&T say contract is needed to buy that phone. Can't go prepaid option with iPhone,....:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.