Buying Iphone without contract: cheaper in the long run?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lyubomir1001, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Lyubomir1001 macrumors member

If i buy an iphone 4 without contract for 499.00
    i wouldn't have to pay over 100 every month you pay from contract.

If i jailbreak it to use MyWi, i can use it to have wi-fi everywhere and very little data might be used up.

texting and calling are separate though

Wouldn't i save thousands of dollars if i buy the phone without contract + the use of mywi?

I know im wrong somewhere
    but please answer without harsh comments

2. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

3. Surrylic macrumors regular

Patience kid... As far as I know buying without a contract but sticking with AT&T won't save you any money because they still know you're using an iPhone and you still have to pay the same every month. Buying with no contract just means you can cancel and switch carriers at any time without penalty. And with or without contract you can use MyWi, which definitely will save you money... if you were planning on paying extra for that service.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I think it will depend on the cost to add data onto your phone bill. In the US with the official iPhone carrier (AT&T) you would save $15/month, except that when they detect an iPhone they will force you to choose either the $15 or $25 data plan anyway. The only other choice is T-Mobile. No idea if they would let you use an iPhone without a data contract and just pay for the (Edge only) data that you use. Other countries have pay as you go options that you could use the iPhone with, and in those cases you could possibly save.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

You are still using your data when you use MyWi. If you were planning on saving money on tethering that's another story.
    If you are going to use AT&T and stick with them for a while, then I don't see how you would benefit from the no-contract price. They charge the same monthly rate in either case. Maybe you could get a cheaper plan with t-mobile to justify the higher price?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're very confused.
    Do you know what mywi does?
    It uses your carrier data plan to create a wifi/usb/bluetooth hotspot to share your iphones internet with other devices like laptops, ipads etc...
    What do you mean very little data will be used? It will use as much as you use.
    Mywi doesnt give you free internet from the carrier if thats what you thought.
    If you plan on using the iphone on official carrier it wont save you money. You will still pay them the same amount of money every month with or without contract. You will just pay full price instead of getting a discount on the phone and thus actually losing money.

7. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

I'm planning to tether my device with mywi so I constantly have wifi on it which let's me use a lot more data. I would pay 25/month +10 a month for opening a line ... If I got he phone with he contrat, ipay much more cash every month because contract charges u right?.. Am I not just payin 35 a month in total? Contract makes it more. Edit: if I have wifi there is no 2gig data limit.. This is only if ur on 3g network ... I asked apple guy Edit: they said if I'm on wifi , I can use phone as much as I want with no data restrictions.. Like internet vids and music listening

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot constantly have wifi unless you're connected to a wifi.
    You still dont know or understand what Mywi does. Mywi doesnt let you have wifi when away from a wireless router and doesnt give you free carrier data/internet.
    You're really confused.
    Anyway, if you plan on using it on AT&T they require a data plan on any iphone used on their network so you wont be able to use it without one. They will add it automaticly for you.
    And no beeing on contract doesnt make it more.
    Or Maybe Im just not understanding you, seems to be a language barrier.

9. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, i do have a language barrier although i can speak english very well. I haven't been in America very long. Listening and interpreting what others are trying to say can sometimes be difficult. It is a problem for all foreigners at first. It takes lots of practice to get out of that barrier.
    I was watching a youtube video about MyWi and it said that mywi can make your mobile device a wi-fi hotspot+ having wi-fi wherever you go lol.

When you are signing the at&t contract, doesn't it say that the contract will charge you a price every month in addition to the data plan? I never had a iphone but im planning on getting one.. or the new ipod touch 4th generation.

Are you saying that MyWi lets you use the iphone's internet connection as a wi-fi hotspot and give that internet to a laptop in a non wi-fi place. I saw on a youtube video a guy creating a network with MyWi and he joined that network which gave wi-fi on his phone. I think it was jut a new network that also had wi-fiI might have misunderstood what was said.. english is not my first alnguage anyway.. my first language is Bulgarian.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Trust me, I know where you're coming from.
    My first language is Greek:) isnai boulgartski? (not sure if I spelled it right)
    I took a few trips to Sofia when I was younger.:D
    But yes, Mywi can turn your phones carrier 3G data to a wireless hotspot but obviously its not possible to having wifi for your iphone wherever you go:D
    Think of it as having wifi for your laptop or ipad for example everywhere you go by using your iphones 3G connection and turning your phone to a wireless router.
    When you sign a contract with at&t or any US company you just agree to stay with them for 2 years, they dont charge you extra per month for beeing under contract.

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

Correct, MyWi creates a WiFi network that allow *OTHER* WiFi devices to use your iPhone's 3G data connection, which is why your first quote above is confusing.

It all comes back to your iPhone's 3G data connection. And with MyWi on, sharing your 3G with other WiFi devices, you will use even more 3G data than you would without it.

12. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

O wow! I was born in sofia! What a beautiful city it used to be :) It was so clean but bulgaria has lots of corruption right now. We escaped because the country doesn't have good politics and it's led by bad leaders. Back in the day, it was different (80,90s.. it was much better) We came here to have a better life :)
    Every Greek which i meet in real life or here knows about Bulgaria and Sofia, which makes me really happy inside since Americans have never heard of Bulgaria or mentioned it. Haven't visited my country in 6 yrs :(

Can you answer me this though: What are all monthly fees you pay for at&t and the prices.
    I know you pay for data plan 25/a month + 10/a month for adding new line. I've been hearing that people pay over $100 for their iphones every month. I want to know what things they are paying for that monthly fee to be that high
    what else?
    im 15 btw

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Besides data, there's also the voice and texting plans.
    Voice starts at $39.99/month for 450 minutes and goes up from there
    Texting starts at $5/month for 200 messages and goes up to $20/month for unlimited
    Taxes are dependent on your state, but that'll add to your bill as well.
    The minimum plan for an individual is $39.99 (voice)+$15 (data)

Depending on where your parents work, they might get a discount through AT&T.

14. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

i have like 1400 min from at&t since i have a family of 4 on the network
    does it make it more than 39.99?

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

Nope, with AT&T the cost is the same per month whether you have a contract or not. You can still add a line on a family plan ($25 + $10 per month) and get the discounted price on the iPhone 4, $199 or $299.

16. Lyubomir1001 thread starter macrumors member

Mm but if i am on my own wi-fi network on the iphone, i can go over the 2gig data limit

if im on 3g network.. im actually using data up
    there is this program from "Makayama" that lets you have free wi-fi anywhere. It joins hidden wi-fi networks.

the computer version is easy wi-fi radar.
    they have it on iphone

17. aristobrat macrumors G5

Regardless of if you buy your iPhone 4 with a contract or not, if you use it on their network, they are going to require that you subscribe to one of their two iPhone 3G data plans.

If you plan on using most of your iPhone data via someone elses WiFi network, then sign up for the cheap $14.99/month 3G data plan. But keep an eye on your phone. Unless you change the setting so that it doesn't use cellular data at all, it's still going to connect to 3G in some circumstances, like when you're driving down the road and its time for it automatically check your email, or push notifications, etc.