iPhone XS Buying Iphones for myself and my son

ColArnold2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Hi
I very rarely use internet forums and I'm not really in toiuch with the internet culture so please excuse my ignorance.
I'm looking to buy myself and my son(he's been doing really well in school ) , I personally really wanted to get us Iphone Xs/maxes since they seem really really nice both aesthethically and they seem to work really well (based on my short time w/ one at the apple store).Though I'd like to ask a few questions.
1.The Xs while beatiful seems quite fragile looking at the glass , how much abuse can the glass take? We don't throw our phones but again accidents do happen (my galaxy s7 died this way).Is there a sort of "screen protector" for the other parts of the phone?
2.We don't have mac computer in our house mostly Linux and Windows , is this going to cause issues?
3.Is there a general rule of thumb about how much storage is recommended?
4.Whats the difference beetwen Iphone Xr Xs and Xs max , assuming unlimited budget ( we'll have them oncontract) any reason to consider the XR?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Glass phones are fragile but if you get a case you can limit the exposure to damage. Screen protectors are available for all the phones you listed and may help protect the screen but it doesn’t completely remove the possibility of damage to the display. These phones are very expensive to repair for various reasons. If the back glass cracks, the entire phone has to be replaced because it is not serviceable. This will cost $600 for the Max, $549 for the Xs and $399 for the Xr to repair unless you purchase AppleCare+ which covers accidental damage (you pay a deductible)for two years. Display replacement is also more expensive on the Xs/Xs Max due to the oled panel. I believe the screen replacement is $330 for the Max, $279 for the Xs and $199 for the Xr. As for storage, you can store a lot of data cloud wise nowadays so depending on if you’re comfortable with that or not you may need more storage on he phone. I store everything using cloud base storage and only use 20gb out of 64gb on my iPhone X. The next step up in storage is on the Xs/ Xs Max is 256gb so quite a bit more but, it also increases the price of the device. The Xr actually offers a 128gb version as the step up from 64gb with a similar increase in cost of the device.. The difference in he phones are listed in detail on the Apple website under technical specifications so you can compare the phones and decide if the differences are worth the substantial difference in price between the Xr and Xs/ Max..

https://www.apple.com/iphone/

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
1. The glass is pretty durable but it is still glass, definitely reccomemd a case and Apple Care+
2. Not at all, at least on the windows side, not sure about Linux.
3. Really depends what you need, personally I like to keep as much on my phone as possible while also having a backup in iCloud. For me the 256gb is perfect (well the 128 would be if they had that size available on the XS)
4. This, in my mind, comes down to value vs having the absolute best. The XR has the best value of the three by a long shot in my opinion, but the XS or Max are the best, here’s why:
A. Smaller bezels
B. Higher contrast ratio due to the OLED panel (some say OLED hurts their eyes so I’d definitely go to a carrier or Apple store and play around with the phones for 30 minutes or so)
C. Second rear camera and, most importantly for me
D. 3D Touch
I chose the Xs for those reasons and I understand it isn’t the best value for money but I like to have the best.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

ColArnold2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
1. The glass is pretty durable but it is still glass, definitely reccomemd a case and Apple Care+
2. Not at all, at least on the windows side, not sure about Linux.
3. Really depends what you need, personally I like to keep as much on my phone as possible while also having a backup in iCloud. For me the 256gb is perfect (well the 128 would be if they had that size available on the XS)
4. This, in my mind, comes down to value vs having the absolute best. The XR has the best value of the three by a long shot in my opinion, but the XS or Max are the best, here’s why:
A. Smaller bezels
B. Higher contrast ratio due to the OLED panel (some say OLED hurts their eyes so I’d definitely go to a carrier or Apple store and play around with the phones for 30 minutes or so)
C. Second rear camera and, most importantly for me
D. 3D Touch
I chose the Xs for those reasons and I understand it isn’t the best value for money but I like to have the best.
Yea I heard the XR doesnt really have a high res screen and I personally do like to watch movies on the go.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Xr if you’re looking to save some money. But I would go with the Xs/Max. Depends on how much media you need on your phones. I would have been happy with 128gb Max if they had it but instead went with 256gb.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Yea I heard the XR doesnt really have a high res screen and I personally do like to watch movies on the go.
It's absolutely high resolution--certainly enough to watch movies. The screen is 2436 by 1125 pixels. Just a few years ago, 1080 was considered HD. This is beyond that. You'll never see the pixels on a 5.8 inch device.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's absolutely high resolution--certainly enough to watch movies. The screen is 2436 by 1125 pixels. Just a few years ago, 1080 was considered HD. This is beyond that. You'll never see the pixels on a 5.8 inch device.
The XR screen resolution is 1792 x 828 ...

Phil77354

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Eastern Washington State
Hi
I very rarely use internet forums and I'm not really in toiuch with the internet culture so please excuse my ignorance.
I'm looking to buy myself and my son(he's been doing really well in school ) , I personally really wanted to get us Iphone Xs/maxes since they seem really really nice both aesthethically and they seem to work really well (based on my short time w/ one at the apple store).Though I'd like to ask a few questions.
1.The Xs while beatiful seems quite fragile looking at the glass , how much abuse can the glass take? We don't throw our phones but again accidents do happen (my galaxy s7 died this way).Is there a sort of "screen protector" for the other parts of the phone?
2.We don't have mac computer in our house mostly Linux and Windows , is this going to cause issues?
3.Is there a general rule of thumb about how much storage is recommended?
4.Whats the difference beetwen Iphone Xr Xs and Xs max , assuming unlimited budget ( we'll have them oncontract) any reason to consider the XR?
You don't mention what your current phones are so your reference point is not clear, although since you don't use Apple computers then it sounds like you're not necessarily a frequent Apple phone purchaser.

My wife and I recently upgraded from iPhone 6s Plus models after 3 years, to the iPhone XS Max, and we're delighted with these new models. The size of the phone physically is almost identical to our previous iPhones and the larger display size is a big improvement, as are all of the other changes that have been made over the past 3 years.

I did purchase screen protectors for these phones, and it's the first time I've done that, but since we intend to use them for several years then I felt this was prudent. We both use folio-style phone cases which I feel offer the best protection.

The iPhone XR was not released when we obtained our phones. Both the XS and XR have smaller displays than the XR Max and that was the primary factor in our decision. I would make the same choice today if I was buying a new phone now.

We have 256 GB storage in our phones, which is a ton of storage but again we expect to keep them for a long time and you can't add storage later. If you take lots of photos, and especially videos, then the storage will ensure you'll likely never run short.

I've never used an iPhone with a non-Apple computer but these days I wouldn't worry about that too much. You should set your phone up to automatically back-up to the cloud although with the large storage capacity of these phones I personally also back up the phones to our iMac computer from time to time, just to have that backup available locally, and it's easy to also keep the photos archived on the computer in order to have backups in that way. If you have an Apple store near where you live then I'd suggest taking advantage of it to talk to them about the different models and how you plan to use it with your other equipment. Even if you don't purchase the phone there, they will be a very helpful resource.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
I have a max so I can speak for myself. I don’t think Apple care is 100% needed provided that, you have a good case on it. Like, get an Apple leather case. They’re great quality and they protect the phone. Yes they’re $50 but it’s worth it. I have never broken an iPhone screen with an Apple leather case.

Point 2. Apple reported on the iPhone keynote 2018 reveal these are pretty strong glass. If you look at drop test on YouTube and results reveal they are pretty strong. It’s surviving case-less drops from 6 feet!!!! That’s pretty good. So yes invest in an Apple leather case it’s worth it and doesn’t make your phone look like pieces of legos.in my honest opinion if a phone can survive 5 foot drops that’s a well designed phone. Anything over that and it’s just being careless.

Point 3. I don’t personally like screen protectors, never used one, but you can also add tempered glass screen protectors. But that at the Apple store and they’ll install it for you. That’s added protection and I highly doubt your phone will break at regular drops (like under 4 feet).
That’s an additional $30-40 I think for the good quality screen protectors.

I don’t want to sound like an Apple fan boy. They irritated at other issues trust me (ie hipocracy on environmental issues for example), but I do believe if you are looking for a phone that will last, Apple is great. They have a tract history of supporting iPhones for half a decade at this point. They provided software update to our MacBook 2010 until this year I think. They support their products with software updates for up to five years, some cases even longer. And we use our phones for security, banking, finance, heck, we can tell a lot of who a person is with their phone and having a secure phone is super important.

I have iPhone 4 that are still working used by relatives, 5s still working and getting updated).

Last edited: