Buying iPod touch with A7 & GPS (iPhone 5s)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pr0230, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pr0230 Suspended

First ,Happy Holidays and A Happy New Year!!!

My Plan for the new Year is to buy the IPod touch with the A7 processor , nice camera, and DRUM ROLE .... GPS...

Yes its an Iphone 5s from Virgin Mobile... For $750 you can get a 64 gb 5s phone... I dont plan to activate the phone and since there is no contract, it is basically an iPod touch.

Cost too much... You Bet... But Im tired of waiting for the update that should have happened , and with an outdated A6 processor.... Too old and I have the money...

And for those who think I need a data plan for GPS, I intend to use TOMTOM offline... Maps are loaded locally...

Again happy New Year!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Congrats tho an ipad mini 3G would be cheaper ;)

3. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

But

Lesser Camera... NO GPS....

Money is NOT THE ISSUE...

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The iPad cellular does have gps

5. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It's not NEW YEAR, yet.

6. mwebb macrumors member

It's going to be locked if you don't use it ....

Have you checked whether you phone will be locked? I agree with your basic plan, but have you checked Virgin Mobile's unlock policies? They may require up to a year of postpaid service before they will unlock it (carrier locked). Also, at least in the old days, some carrier locked phones wouldn't even complete the boot process without a SIM ....

7. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

GOOD Point...

Good Point...

I've spoken to apple tech's and they tell me that the phone will perform all functions , except make a call... If that is not true , I will activate for one month and cancel... Its a NO Contract phone... I am paying for the phone with PayPal... So there will be No transfer of credit card information...

BTW - I started this thread to have the World tell me why I cant do what I have proposed... And I have already thought thru most of the issues, including the Ur point...

And to use the phone as a phone , Im using Google voice and talkatone app... Works already on my ipod tpuch 5g... My girl friend was also given an old iPhone 4S off contract... Works as ipod and phone just fine with talkatone...

Cheers! And thank you...

8. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

Need Some Help here

This is a tech spec of the iphone 5s for LOCATION:

Assisted GPS and GLONASS
    Digital compass
    Wi-Fi
    Cellular

I see this under the tech specs for the Iphone but NOT under the ipad mini w ret display... Even under the data plan versions... I believe the ipad must use a data plan to have cellular contact for Their gps like functions...

I have read other threads where people use their iphone out of cellular range and GPS still works...

I dont think the mini w cellular has TRUE GPS....

Please correct me if I am incorrect...

However even if the ipad mini DOES have GPS... I want the iphone size...

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You've miss read. The cellular version has everything the iphone has...

Look under the location section.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/specs/

10. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about.
    The A6 is in current gen devices, it's still a power house.
    With today's software you will not find any speed difference in UI browsing between the 2 chips.
    How do I know ? I have both the 5 and the 5s. I regret buying the 5s because the speed is virtually the same.

11. joewillmott macrumors regular

If money is absolutely no issue, just get the 5s and use it as it was intended - for everything?

12. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

Good point

But I dont need or want a cell phone... Im retired, so Im home most of the time... When Im out , I dont want to hear or take a phone call... Most of my friends have wifi, so I am still connected when visiting or at a hot spot....

I have not paid a PHONE bill in three years.... while money is NOT the issue, I still dont spend it if I dont have to ... again ... Good Point...

Let's see... Phone contract at 50 or 100 amonth ... so 600 or 1200 a year... Times 3 years 1800 to 3600 not spent to talk on a phone...

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

First, this has nothing to do with the iPod Touch and doesn't belong on this forum.

Secondly, the current iPod Touch has an A5, NOT a A6. If you're going to belittle something, at least get the technical specifications right.

Good luck with your phone though. Next year I'm just doing all my map route searching at home and going back to a feature phone and using my iPod Touch for everything else. I got the 64GB for $299 refurbished.

14. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

My bad... poor writing skills... What I meant to say was the NEW IPOD touch will get an out of date A6 processor.... New for the iPod touch but OLD f'en tech... What, you think the new iPod touch will get an A7... Not while the 5C has the A6... Watch BIG update news in OCTOBER... NEW iPod touch with A6 processor...

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It will be 64-bit A7. Would be a stupid move to keep it 32-bit, especially because by 2015, everything will be 64-bit.

16. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

$$$$

wanna bet!!! The 5c will be A6 for two years.... So will the IPOD...

Oh... I get it , make everything A7 except the 5C.... Right...

U R Right......

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Who cares. The Touch 5 with an A5 runs great under IOS 7 and the 64 bit A7 devices are having issues with memory leaks (they will improve it in future IOS updates but the RAM probably will not end up being enough). You also have to consider the form factor with many people preferring the Touch.

If you want to get a 5S, get one. Just don't expect people to be impressed (this sounds more like a "look at me and how much money I have" thread).

18. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

The 5C won't exist in October 2014. That model will become the 6C or similar, and will sport the current 5S specs or minimally better specs.

Apple is most likely going to release three, yes count them, 3 new phones this fall - a replacement for the 5C, a replacement for the 5S, and an all new version with the rumoured bigger 4.7-5" screen. All will have 64 bit architecture, and TouchID®.

They may keep the 5C around next year to replace the 4, but it is equally possible they keep the 4 around for yet another year, weird as that may seem. :eek:

19. Jsameds macrumors 68030

20. GloriaBrown macrumors newbie

GloriaBrown

buy ipod

Which is the best place in CA to buy an ipod? thank you. :)

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well I've just bought the same iPod touch as the OP, but I'm not rich like him because I have to use it as my phone not just as an iPod touch and I'll be selling my samsung galaxy S4.

22. Thomas card macrumors member

To come on here just to brag about buying a 5s and not activating it and then continually say money isn't the issue which i don't believe because you would just activate it and pay the damn bill if your so loaded right , my guess is you have no money and you have a stolen phone that you can either not activate or something like that because anyone with tons of cash would just use it for what's it worth . And people with enough money to brag about it not being an issue don't come on the internet to brag about it , they are out living there lives ( spending there money ) . Get a life