Buying itouch in America!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by janaror, Sep 11, 2008.

1. janaror macrumors newbie

Hi my name is Jan Arild

I was thinking of buying a itouch in the US, because of the major price difference!

In Norway there are some stores, in English, called "Apple House". I wondered if it's the same in the US, if they got itouch in many different stores or if it's only Onlinestore in USA?

If I'll have too buy it Online, will there be any unforseen taxes or duties?

PS: I'm sorry for my lousy English, have'nt had any English classes the last 4 years...

Thanks for the quick answers! =)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can buy the iPods in nearly any Electronics Store, Department Store, or an Apple Store.

Example Electronic Stores
    Best Buy
    Circuit City

Example Department Stores
    Wal-Mart
    K-Mart
    Target

TEG

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Taxes, depends on where you stay. They range from 0-10%.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Velkommen å det forum , Jan!

Nå du har å avfinne seg med meg dårlig Norsk. :)

Er du travelogue å det OSS eller er du prøver å kjøpe online?

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I think you will find that Apple dealers are not allowed to sell Apple products outside of their own country.

Even if you did find somewhere there would be import duty (25-50% probably) plus MOMS (VAT) at 25%.

Cheaper to buy from one of the EEC countries probably.......

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think warranty would be US only. If you want int'l warranty, you may need to buy AppleCare.

7. jeffuwee macrumors member

jeffuwee

warranty is in us only? hmm i didn't know that. i thought it was just all their products.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I could be wrong, but the warranty says to refer to your local countries laws.

9. janaror thread starter macrumors newbie

If I under stood "your" norwegian correct your asking me if I'm comeing to the US; I'm not, but my parrents are! So I just send them the money, and they'll buy it for me! (Btw the translation program you used... I would'nt give it 5 star... maybe 1..!)

How much does an itouch cost, in a store in California? (taxes included)

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Damn, that's what I get for running a translation program through somebody who had a year of it in college (er, 15 years ago...) :eek::) "Yeah, it looks great," he says. Smack upside the head for spouse. :p

From your question I couldn't tell if you were travelling and looking to physically take it back or if you were looking to order online through a US retailer.

Your parents will have to pay california tax, plus any local taxes (some cities tack on a percent or more). Whether they pay import taxes bringing or mailing it home depends on whether they want to toss the box and say they've always owned it. But that's an ethical issue between you and mom and dad.

Go to apple's US site - the price there is the price they will pay in an apple store.

11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If you want to buy with the least amount of taxes, buy in Delaware, it's a tax free state.

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That is very different - I too thought you were wanting to buy mail-order from the USA.

Just get them to buy it an Apple Store in the USA and mail the box and packaging back to you/them in Norway - customs declaration of nil value - $2-3 to post (mail).

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The retail prices:

8GB US229.
    16GB US299
    32GB US399

As for taxes, the US Government does not tax consumer electronics purchases, but most of the state governments do (along pretty much every consumer item except food). Typically, it's about 7-10% of the purchase price, but states are free to set their own rates. Some local governments add additional sales taxes on top of that, usually 1-2%.

14. janaror thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm from Norway, and my geography might be some what poor, but last time I checked Delaware was placed on the east coast... And since my parents are going to the West coast, it might just be a litle to expensive to take a cab over there just to buy an ipod touch for me :p

15. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Oregon's on the west coast.....no sales tax there either.....

16. Trip.Tucker Guest

LOL - pwned by Google Translator.

17. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

You're not wrong. I bought my MBP from America and i don't have warranty. I have to convince Apple that i have problem so as to give me warranty to repair my machine.

18. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I live in California and it is 8.25% sales tax. So you will pay about 255ish for 8GB. You can get the iPod Touch in any Apple Store / Best buy and many other electronics stores.