Buying iTunes movies vs ripping own DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I was looking to buy some movies off iTunes and put on my iPad.
    As I read more, I saw that while you can back up the your iTunes movies (data), you can't burn them onto a DVD to watch on a DVD player.

So what am I missing here? Why would someone buy a movie off iTunes where the play/view is limited?

Wouldn't it make more sense to go out and buy a movie, rip it to your HD and then transfer to an iPad?

Am I not understanding something here correctly?

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Renting looks interesting, buying not so much.

Note that for about $40.us, you can get a cable that plugs into your iPad and TV/stereo (standard def), so you could store a large-ish video library to see as you please (though I think the classic iPod 160 would make more sense for this).

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

No, but you're overlooking the obvious:
    Which compares to "Click Buy".

I'm not saying that it's a good deal, necessarily, but the advantage is pure convenience--you don't need to drive to the store or wait for the DVD to be delivered from Amazon, you don't need to rip it, you don't need to know HOW to rip a DVD, and the synching and such is handled automatically.

Personally, I'm going to continue buying physical discs until the download version is either completely DRM free or substantially cheaper--that's what gets me to buy a song on iTunes vs a physical CD--but for some people their time/effort is worth the price and flexibility difference.