Buying iWork 09 from Ebay, good or bad??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CSilver, Jan 31, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I recently bought the Alum Macbook and I am very happy so far.:D It has been only 2 days and yes this is my first mac so I am little awkward sometimes and doubting how simple osx is compared to windows :eek:

I will be going into a college soon and I was wondering to purchase either the Office 08 or iWork 09 and made up my mind for iWork 09xD

The real question is that has anyone bought iWork 09 from ebay? I mean like I know apple changed the whole serial number issues for iWork not needing it anymore. So I am concerned yet confused where to buy it from. Yes, I am trying to safe some dollars ;D

p.s. I bought refurb macbook and iLife 09 came with it but when I tried to register the product the web kept telling me its invalid :confused: what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help ;)
    -Chris-

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Re:iWork

Morally, it's bad, because most likely the original owner has it installed and is just reselling the disc (a bad idea anyway, since you may need to reinstall - unless he made a backup - also very bad). Chances are it's a legit version, however.

Re: registration - it's hard to tell you what you're doing wrong when you haven't given details of what you're doing. For all we know, you could be trying to register your mac on Microsoft's homepage.

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks for your reply :D I guess I will be ordering iWork from the apple or just buy one from Bestbuy...
    p.s. When was iWork updated? I am wondering whether I should wait or get one..:confused:

4. burningbright macrumors regular

It was updated just a few weeks ago- there won't be a new one for at least a year. You can download it from the Apple site for free and have a 30 day trial if you like.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If they don't uninstall it and send you the licensing information and whatnot, then you are not at fault. If you possess the license, you have a legitimate copy.

6. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

So you also agree with the idea of getting it from either Apple store or like Bestbuy?

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I have noticed a few people selling their copy of Office 2008 because they only used one of the serial numbers and there are 3 available. Is that legal?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good question, not sure I know the answer. Personally, I don't buy software second hand like this just to avoid any sort of problem.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you buy it from ebay and it isn't sealed, they're still sending you the licenses and any use without such is in violation of the EULA. If the box is sealed, which I'd imagine most on ebay are, don't even think about worrying about it as the disc has never even been used. Most people that want to steal software will find more efficient ways than buying, installing, and reselling, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it from ebay.

10. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Just don't pick it up until you're in college. Then you'll get the education discount. I'm not sure about pricing everywhere, but at my campus store iWork09 is only $49.99.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well I just bought a copy of Office 2008 yesterday for $99 (home and student edition) at Office Max and I only used one of the serial numbers. I assume that the idea of the multiple numbers are to install on more then one computer owned by the same person. Anyhow I just noticed a few people on eBay lately trying to make some money that way and people were bidding.

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

New sealed in box

I'd say that buying on eBay is safe if you follow common sense when purchasing it. Only bid/buy from listing with a large number of good feedback. Only bid/buy from listings that are "new" and "sealed in box". I've purchased both iLife '08 and OS X 10.4 Tiger on eBay using the above method and saved a bit of money and had no problems.

I assume that you're referring to registering the MacBook? If so, sometimes, Apple's website doesn't handle refurb serial numbers properly. I think you can get around this by calling AppleCare and registering the MacBook over the phone.

13. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Both iLife and iWork are US$39 at my local higher education Apple reseller! Yay!