Buying late-2009 Unibody White Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zachattack111, Apr 4, 2010.

1. zachattack111 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am interested in buying a late-2009 unibody white Macbook, and I have some questions.

1. Has anyone heard anything, or have any speculation on when the Macbook line will get a refresh? (not macbook pros)
    2. If I buy the Macbook with iWork, do I get the disks for iWork? If not, if I restore my Macbook by using the installation CD, how do I get iWork back?
    3. Are the Macbooks that are shipping now using snow leopard?
    4. Is it worth it to upgrade to 4GB RAM? I am just doing basic things, probably browsing websites, movies, photoshop, garageband etc.
    5. Should I upgrade my hard drive through Apple or purchase it myself?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. No. They MAY be updated along with MBPs but seriously, nobody knows.

2. I think you get restore disks but I would buy it separately and then install (faster shipping time)

3. Yes

4&5. Buy RAM and HDs from 3rd party and do the installation yourself. You save money and can keep the stock HD for backup purposes

3. zachattack111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I have decided to use the stock RAM and stock hard drive that comes with the machine. The best thing is, I'll have spare ram and a spare hard drive in case either of them crap out on me. Some additional questions:

1. Can you direct me to a website which explains what kind of RAM and what hard drive I will need?
    2. Where can I buy iWork?
    3. I'm sure this is a really noob question, but I'm just checking: Lets say, I want to completely refresh my system to the way it was when I purchased it, can I use the restore disks to do this?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. RAM and HD1 (320GB) + HD2 (500GB) (More HDs)

2. You can buy it from any Apple reseller or from Apple.com

3. That is the reason of restore disks, so yes you can do that

5. zachattack111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay great. Just one last question. Where should I buy my Macbook? I don't have a microcenter here, and the Apple store is almost 30 miles away. I don't really feel like ordering online, but if I need to I will.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is there any stores closer than the Apple Store? 30 miles doesn't sound that bad so just drive there, pick up your MacBook and iWork and then order the RAM and HD from NewEgg (links above).

7. zachattack111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well there's a bestbuy, walmart etc. Do those stores sell it?

8. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Bestbuy might. You can even check their website to see if it is in-stock. Apple doesn't seem to do that, but I also doubt that it is out-of-stock. I think you do get a discount for buying iWork with your computer at Apple. Not sure about Bestbuy.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think BestBuy sells Macs but as jpyc7 said, you may want to check if they have it in stock

10. JNickyJJ macrumors member

Don't buy ram or HDD upgrades from apple, they rip you off for such an easy task [​IMG] but definately the late 2009 with a ram upgrade will be fab for you