Buying late 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abaganov, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Abaganov macrumors regular

Hey all , so I just sold my windows laptop (never again) and I need a new laptop ASAP
    And the MacBook Pro 13 is perfect for my needs (running SEO buissnes etc) ,

as we know a new and improve model is around the corner I feel kind of nervous opting for this current model and spending around $1850 ( I need the 512gb model) , I will feel so stupid doing that and then 2 days after or so Apple will come out with the new model ( I'm not living in the U.S. And there is no official Apple Store here so I can't return it)

Ok so just now I saw someone in my city is selling a late 2012 MBP model (256gb) with 124 battery cycles for $550 , it seems like it's in good conflation overall.
    so my question , should I just buy this thing for now , and when the new model is out I could probably sell it for like $400 or so?

Or I should just say f*ck it and go for the current model and that's it?
    What do you guys think?
    Is $550 is a good price for that the late 2012 MBP?

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Honestly, I would say: get it and keep it.

You can upgrade the SSD to 480GB for $210: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2012-2013

I don't know why you would sell it for a newer model later, if this one fits your needs.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'm a little confused. Are you looking to get the 13" MacBook Pro with an optical drive and 500GB storage? If so, do not buy new under any circumstances. It hasn't been updated since 2012 (hence late 2012 as you stated).

$550 is a fair price for the Late 2012 MBP; it's a reliable machine, and HDD/RAM can be upgraded to an SSD & max. 16GB of RAM.

If you are looking for a Retina model, these will possibly be updated by the end of the year.

You can review MacRumors' Buyer's Guide here for a little more information on what has been updated at what time.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I think he is talking about a rMBP

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13" = non-Retina
    Late-2012 MacBook Pro 13" = Retina

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Good spot, thanks for clarifying. I'm a little low on coffee at the moment ;)

6. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - its indeed the retina model ,

@tubeexperience - thanks for pointing out those upgrading options , the main reason I would like to have at some point a new model is the battery life ,10+ Hours of battery use sounds Awesome to me