Buying Leopard and iLife now?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nekomimi, Aug 23, 2008.

1. nekomimi macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've just bought a new iMac 24" - and I'm enjoying my Leopard experience. My MB is however still running Tiger and I would like to have the full functionality of syncing all my notes and to-do's between them both.

So - Any advice on buying Leopard and iLife for my MB now? or should I wait until Sept when there may be some updates on either app?

I'm a student so money is a factor - but so is wasted time in productivity if you know what I mean. Am hoping Leopard will give my MB a bit of zip again too - if that is possible.

All opinions appreciated

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Leopard you can buy anytime, it won't be updated for a while (other than the free downloadable updates)

as for iLife it is very unlikely that it will be updated in September. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it's more likely to get updated in January of 2009.

3. nekomimi thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you tuffluff, I was essentially enquiring if there were rumours of major updates to iLife or a new release of Leopard - which doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the response - feeling better about going out today to purchase them both. :)

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The next version of OS X, the successor to v10.5 Leopard known as v10.6 Snow Leopard, is not scheduled to be released for at least another year. The current version of iLife is known as iLife '08, however it came out sometime at the end of 2007, I think it may have been September, which would coincide with a new release of iLife at the September Apple event. However historically Apple releases a new iLife at Macworld, which occurs in January, so it may not come out until January.

It's a bit of a toss up then. iLife '09 may come out in September or it may come out in January. An iLife '07 never came out so there may not even be an iLife '09, however I find that unlikely.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes as others have stated iLife is not on top of Apple's "what's next" list so you are safe to buy at this time.

Also, please don't use the student excuse for not having much cash. Several of us support familes and rent and mortgages so many of us don't have disposable cash to buy software. You are probably in a better position than many who can't even buy a Mac and you have 2.

6. nekomimi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and opinions. I did in fact buy Leopard and iLife today (had to take Leopard back to the shop though - the shop sold me a 'demo' package sans disc)

However, I do find 'the student excuse' to be rather offensive - I more than likely older than you and probably have more financial and emotional responsibilities than you - and I'm doing that trying to complete a PhD full time - you have no idea of the sets of circumstances any one of us has - and I find those sorts of judgements not only patriarchal but also less than charitable.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well if you are older than 43 than you're right, you're older than me. If you have more than 4 kids and a mortgage then you're right your financial responsibilities are more than mine. I've already graduated from Cal Berkeley so I also have loans to pay.
    This was not a competition of who has more to pay, it's just irritating that students act like they are the only one's that are limited on cash yet they buy expensive Macs like you (new 24" iMac and MB) and then say they can barely afford the $79.00 iLife suite. :rolleyes:

8. nekomimi thread starter macrumors newbie

You response demonstrates you have missed the point entirely. You made (and by the looks still continue to make) assumptions based on your own experience. Being 'a student' means various different things in various social, economic and geographical contexts. You can keep rolling your eyes - as you have made more assumptions that I self-funded these computer purchases.

Considering a load of people have viewed this thread and have remained silent may indicate your judgements might reflect the broader mac rumours community.

Sincerely no hard feelings - I will find another mac community that will be more accepting of me and my questions - life goes on.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Come on HLdan, I thought he was nice. Why'd you have to go scaring him off like that?

10. nekomimi thread starter macrumors newbie

ahem...*hand on hips* I am female (thought the patriarchal comment gave that away) ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*Shrug* You do have two pretty expensive computers (probably both at least a standard deviation above media new PC purchase prices, and the iMac perhaps two full SD above). But more generally, the basis of your financial situation really has nothing to do with anything... if your disposable income is tight right now, why not just ask what an economically prudent purchase strategy would be, rather than suggesting either unreasonable inference that all students are poor or that all non-students are plush with cash. You needn't have resorted to the student excuse at all...

Anyway, I did just want to mention that the advice above is generally sound... Leopard's predicted time of replacement is 10-16 months from now. iLife is probably about 4 months away, but it could be significantly more than that. If money is particularly an issue, it is certainly also an option to look for forum sales; both pieces of software come up, for instance, in our own marketplace forum not too infrequently....

12. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

mea culpa. I seem to always assume the text on the other side of the internet is spit out by a man. I need to quit assuming so much.

13. nekomimi thread starter macrumors newbie

It isn't an 'excuse' - it it just my position - I am a student and it is because of that my income is 'x' and I have to watch what I spend. I shouldn't have to justify who I am - but it was prudent to my question about whether to spend now or later.

This is my last post - what an unfriendly and insensitive community. bye

edit: No worries tuffluf, your intentions weren't to make assumptions about me in the context of my question(s) about iLife and Leopard - thanks for your response(s) - but I will be unsubscribing in a few mins - nice to chatting with you though.

14. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Not to barge in on this... but I wouldn't leave this community just because of this experience. You'll find a lot of people are very friendly, but whatever suits you best.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And to comment on what the above poster said, not everyone who asks a simple question gets treated like this. You must be special. ;)

Stick around, participate in other threads, and just avoid this thread altogether. I don't know how or why people are giving you crap for no reason, but they are doing so with nothing to gain, and are acting like idiots. Don't worry, others can see that too.

My answer to your question: Buy Leopard, and do whatever you want with regards to iLife. New versions of iLife rarely add any massive benefits, IMO. They add some new themes and such, but I don't feel like you miss anything buy owning an older version. Basically, I would buy them both now, but if you don't mind waiting for the new iLife, probably coming in January (MWSF 2009), then wait.