Buying Leopard With iLife 08

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ShaunC, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ShaunC macrumors member

Im fairly new to Macs and after purchasing my first macbook last month i've decided I want to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard.

First though i have one or 2 questions

Whats the difference between buying an upgrade disk (e.g. off ebay) and buying the software from the apple store?

Is there any disadvantages to buying the upgrade disk?

and is there any upgrade disks that include iLife 08 as some claim on eBay UK

cheers, ShaunC

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I don't believe that there is actually an "upgrade" version of Mac OS X Leopard. It's the same distribution whether you upgrade an older version of OS X or install from scratch.

But to answer your question, the retail boxed Mac OS X discs do not include iLife. The only two ways to get iLife is with a new Mac or purchasing it separately. If an eBay seller is claiming that he's including iLife '08, it would likely be on a separate disc.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Make sure if you buy a leopard DVD off of ebay that it's either retail or for the SAME EXACT MODEL LAPTOP you have. if it's even slightly different, it won't install.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The difference between buying the upgrade Leopard disc and the full retail version is the upgrade will require that you have Mac OS X pre-installed. For example since your Macbook came with Tiger you can use the upgrade disc to do a full erase of Tiger and fresh install of Leopard but Tiger has to be pre-installed.
    Here's the issue with an upgrade disc, if you do a full erase of Tiger (highly recommended) and begin to install Leopard, if you make any mistakes or errors and have to go back you will be required to re-install Tiger first then Leopard again.
    The retail version of Leopard does not require any version of OS X to be pre-installed.

5. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

If you buy off of ebay... Well that's strange. I would assume the seller could have just used it, copied it, and sold off the disk, in which case you would have an illegal license.

Anyway, there is no upgrade disk that will come with iLife '08. The iLife suite comes bundled with computers, not the OS itself.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Funny thing is with the above is that if you DID get the original disks YOU would own the license. You can prove you own it by producing original disks. If the person made a copy for themselves, THEY would have the illegal disks. So you would win either way. 2 reasons why I say this. This happened with a friend of mine with Windows XP. He bought what he thought was a 'deal' and the original user already sent his registration. When asked to 'prove' the SN was his, he sent pictures of the sticker, disk, and box. He got full control of the SN and they canx'd the original user. Second, this question was brought up when we went to the Apple store. The genius said "if you bring the box in and show me the disks, that means you OWN the disks"

This is true. In order to get the iLife you would have to insert your Tiger restore disk and "install optional components" then select the iLife products you want and continue. Then UPDATE via system update.

7. f1 macrumors 6502

There is no such thing as an upgrade disc. All leopard discs are the same with the exception of the two grey discs that come with computers that have leopard pre-installed. Apple only sells ONE version of leopard, its not like windows where there is an upgrade and a full version. Also Leopard is not bundled with iLife, if you see something on eBay that suggest iLife is bundled it is likely the restore discs that came with the seller's computer and WILL not work with your computer unless it is the exact same model and generation.

8. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Leopard Upgrade DVDs shipped as a drop-in with new Macs that shipped after Leopard was released but before the Tiger pre-installed stock had been exhausted.

Here's a pic http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/eb/19/7498_1.JPG

Not sure how the licensing would work if you bought one of these but I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't licensed.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This is true, they do not technically SELL upgrade disks. They were drop ins. I'm unsure if they were hardware tied (specific macs) but I doubt it. The reasons/ways of obtaining one was either a 'drop in' or through the apple website where an upgrade disk was sent to you (there were restrictions on getting one of these disks)

I'd steer clear of it. My previous post more than likely wouldn't apply here but you never know. It could work.

Besides, at this point and time, I'd rather have a full disk.

10. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I guess that's true. The seller would be "transferring ownership," which I believe is fine under the EULA. Then if that's correct, the seller shouldn't be allowed to be running the software any longer.

I guess with OSX the license is represented by the ownership of the disk, not by a key like windows.

Yes, that is what I've done, although if he did this, he wouldn't be getting iLife '08, of course.

They are essentially upgrade disks, since you use them to upgrade previous versions of OSX. Every Mac comes with OSX anyway, so you are always "upgrading" any way you look at it. The OEM/retail (whichever you prefer) license is purchased with the computer in the first place, so buying the new version is always upgrading. Macs don't come "empty" with no OS.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

We're assuming of course that he doesn't have Tiger restore disks WITH iLife '08.

If we assume he/she does not. Then I wouldn't trust any 'upgrade' disks and opt to getting the full version from Apple if that's what they want. If they can live without it well, the choice is clear.

I'm going to go with the assumption that the Tiger restore disks have '06. That being the case, I would go with getting 'true' disks rather than the hopes that the ones you buy are worth a toot. Skepticism is always in order when dealing with ebay and software. There are some shady characters out there. If you do decide to take a chance, ensure the person your buying from has good ratings and use a proxy merchant like PayPal or a credit card with a good purchase protection plan.

As you stated TH-Gunner I do believe the software license is transferable. Since we don't have serial numbers, the defacto would be disk ownership. Since in windows most software is still relatively disk ownership as well, we on the otherhand don't have to do a lot of 'proving' we own it since there really isn't any registration involved. At least not SN and Validation key type registration.

The closest we have to Windows license transferance or lack there of is system specific restore disks. For instance, you can't (or not supposed to) sell a "Dell PC" copy of Windows since it was licensed for that machine and specifically states it's not transferable. When the machine dies, so does the license. In our world, we can however sell "Tiger restore disks for iMac G5" and technically be 'ok' I guess.

Good luck to the OP. Personally on all accounts, I would ensure the disks I get are originals and not 'upgrade' versions. You'll have a easier time installing/reinstalling (if needed) when you have actual disks.

12. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the replies

yeah i think I'm going to avoid eBay and just get it off the apple online store

2 final questions though;

Yeah i don't have the original Tiger disks nor do i have iLife currently installed on my Macbook, why is removing Tiger highly reccomended instead of overlaying it?

and if i do buy it off the apple online store, it will be physically delivered in a box yeah? not just a software download

Many thanks, ShaunC

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It doesn't really matter if you do a clean install or not, upgrade on the install menu works just fine. And yes, Apple will send you it in a box (Leopard would be a huge download as well as license issues with not having a box).

14. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

As Toaster put, they are boxed copies. Full license softwares.

Clean install is just one of those things a lot of people like to ensure the HD is wiped of any 'lost' files or any funky stuff floating around.

When installing Leopard you'll be asked for a few options. Clean install, or another one that will maintain your current user settings but refresh the OS to Leopard and you'll maintain most of your apps and user settings/profile.

It's your choice if you wish to start fresh or keep some stuff.

Since you mentioned being new to Macs and in case no one has done it yet, Welcome to our world :D

15. ShaunC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot for your help :)

I've sent out another thread about airport express if any of you happen to be budding audio experts aswell.

So a clean install won't wipe off any of my applications or folders such as music/photos etc?.. the important things basically

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What license issues? Because new seeds of Mac OS X are delivered to developers as a download.

17. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I don't think that applies to the OP.

18. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

If you don't have the original disks, you will have to buy iLife separately if you don't already have a version of iLife already installed. OSX-in-a-box (buying it separately) does not contain iLife.

There is no problem with doing an upgrade install; I've done it and it's very clean.

I'm not sure. I think it should be a disk. Actually, I'm pretty sure it would be a disk and not a download; I don't see Apple as wanting someone to burn their software and make copies of it.